Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in 4th rolling down a hill today when the check engine light came on and started blinking. I stopped the car and it eventually stopped blinking. The blinking lasted between 10-20 seconds total and in that time I didn't notice anything wrong. It's a '13 with only 600 miles on it and I haven't even driven it hard yet so I'm hoping it was a fluke issue. Any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned?

·
Registered
585 Posts
KARgt13 said:
I was in 4th rolling down a hill today when the check engine light came on and started blinking. I stopped the car and it eventually stopped blinking. The blinking lasted between 10-20 seconds total and in that time I didn't notice anything wrong. It's a '13 with only 600 miles on it and I haven't even driven it hard yet so I'm hoping it was a fluke issue. Any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned?
Well I had the same problem before. I got It scanned and the cause was a misfire. But since you said you have a 2013 that would be really weird. If I was you I would see if the problem occurs again and then get it checked out. Like you said could just be a fluke.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I think Ford is working on a TSB about this, and many are having to do crank relearn and a few are having to have the PCM re worked.... I think that's what it was anyways. Much of the programming is difference from 11-12 to 13

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Ford is working on a TSB about this, and many are having to do crank relearn and a few are having to have the PCM re worked.... I think that's what it was anyways. Much of the programming is difference from 11-12 to 13
Any reason not to keep driving it? I ask because I'm currently at work 40 minutes from home.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
a flashing check engine light means that whatever the car is doing, it is damaging itself and continuing to drive vehicle will damage or destroy motor.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure as to whether it actually is hurting itself or not, this is an issue with multiple vehicles, not just your own, I'll try to do a little research to help you before you leave work, also try doing some research on your own in case I cannot get you a definite answer.

does the vehicle act erratically when the light flashes?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a flashing check engine light means that whatever the car is doing, it is damaging itself and continuing to drive vehicle will damage or destroy motor.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure as to whether it actually is hurting itself or not, this is an issue with multiple vehicles, not just your own, I'll try to do a little research to help you before you leave work, also try doing some research on your own in case I cannot get you a definite answer.

does the vehicle act erratically when the light flashes?
No, I noticed no changes, listened for differences, the car didn't shake or do anything funny. This happened about 20 minutes into my drive, lasted 15-20 seconds and then the light went off and never came back on.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
there are various posts throughout this thread

There are a few people with the same issue. gist of it is that it happens mostly over 3-4k rpm range. the check engine light is accompanied by random misfiring. some have been fixed with crank position relearn, others are having to either reprogram or replace the PCM and one person even got a new car out of it...

let's hope for the best and wait for it to happen again though, and try driving and holding over 4k rpms to see what happens

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are various posts throughout this thread

There are a few people with the same issue. gist of it is that it happens mostly over 3-4k rpm range. the check engine light is accompanied by random misfiring. some have been fixed with crank position relearn, others are having to either reprogram or replace the PCM and one person even got a new car out of it...

let's hope for the best and wait for it to happen again though, and try driving and holding over 4k rpms to see what happens
Thanks. As expected the dealer wasn't helpful, said it was probably just emission or carbon related and as long as the light went off it shouldn't be an issue. If it happens again, I will call back and make sure to discuss with them the issue you found. I can't recall the RPMs at the time but I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check engine light came on and stayed on. Autozone computer saw 3 misfired cylinders and said about crankshaft timing being off. I forget the exact wording. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
KARgt13 said:
Check engine light came on and stayed on. Autozone computer saw 3 misfired cylinders and said about crankshaft timing being off. I forget the exact wording. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Good luck with that. They're just going to do the crank sensor relearn. And try to blame any problem on you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DWC_SmOziLLa said:
Good luck with that. They're just going to do the crank sensor relearn. And try to blame any problem on you.
Of course, and they refused to let me come in yesterday so I have to wait til Tuesday. If the relearn doesn't fix it there will be hell to pay. By now Ford should know I'm not the only person to have this issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Keep us posted, I'm curious about this

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
They will blame it on your carbon fiber dash kit, or your rear seat delete if you have one. The weight savings is manipulating the engines horsepower which is why your light is coming on.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They will blame it on your carbon fiber dash kit, or your rear seat delete if you have one. The weight savings is manipulating the engines horsepower which is why your light is coming on.
I have neither, car is currently 100% stock. I still sense them blaming it on me somehow.

·
Registered
721 Posts
KARgt13 said:
I have neither, car is currently 100% stock. I still sense them blaming it on me somehow.
U should be fine dude... Although i was talking one day to a Ford tech and he was telling me that a guy twisted his mustangs drive shaft (probably doing something he shouldnt have) and the dealer was gonna replace it under warentee. A ford engineer inspected it and saw that his tread on his rear tires were very low and the fronts were almost new and denied the warentee cause he said he was abusing his car... Now i dont no if he was trying to scare me to not drive my car hard but that kinda sucks if the base a problem with ur vehicle on tread life lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
U should be fine dude... Although i was talking one day to a Ford tech and he was telling me that a guy twisted his mustangs drive shaft (probably doing something he shouldnt have) and the dealer was gonna replace it under warentee. A ford engineer inspected it and saw that his tread on his rear tires were very low and the fronts were almost new and denied the warentee cause he said he was abusing his car... Now i dont no if he was trying to scare me to not drive my car hard but that kinda sucks if the base a problem with ur vehicle on tread life lol
That's pretty ridiculous. I don't know how they can prove he didn't throw some old tires on the back or something, whether it's true or not. Fortunately I have even tread.. for now :D.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts