Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are tale tell signs of having a blown head gasket because i was moving my car and it is not that cold outside its about 60 but anyway i look under neith my car and i see white smoke and water dripping from my tailpipes so i shut it off and opened my radiator cap ( was not hot ) and a whole bunch of antifreeze came out gushing and so i checked my overflow tank and i see these bubbles like oil looks like in water... So i know these cars are very prown to have head gasket problems so i dont know if i have a blown head gasket or what..., its a 98 V6 auto

·
Registered
294 Posts
k well your water hasn't breached into your oil.. you could still be leaking water into your cylinder... the water hitting the ground could possibly be a popped frost plug, but probably not.. did you have adequate anti freeze ?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sirtat said:
k well your water hasn't breached into your oil.. you could still be leaking water into your cylinder... the water hitting the ground could possibly be a popped frost plug, but probably not.. did you have adequate anti freeze ?
Me and my dad realiy havnt checked the viscosity of the anti freeze yet we have just put what we had into the over flow tank..... And i looked into the radiator and it didnt have any spots in it at

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
you could put a bottle of bars leak head gasket repair..if it's just a small crack letting coolant in the cylinders it should help take care of it. alot of my customers have had good luck with it

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
What are tale tell signs of having a blown head gasket because i was moving my car and it is not that cold outside its about 60 but anyway i look underneath my car and i see white smoke and water dripping from my tailpipes so i shut it off and opened my radiator cap ( was not hot ) and a whole bunch of antifreeze came out gushing and so i checked my overflow tank and i see these bubbles like oil looks like in water... So i know these cars are very prone to have head gasket problems so i dont know if i have a blown head gasket or what..., its a 98 V6 auto
Some of the older 3.8's are prone to head gasket problems.
If it did that without getting hot, then likely that is your problem. :(
Do a compression check to find out for sure. You don't want the coolant to get into your oiling system, it is very hard on engine bearings.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trojan Horse said:
Some of the older 3.8's are prone to head gasket problems.
If it did that without getting hot, then likely that is your problem. :(
Do a compression check to find out for sure. You don't want the coolant to get into your oiling system, it is very hard on engine bearings.
What are signs of miss firing

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
What are signs of miss firing
Coolant in the cylinders will make it miss. Especially if it is spraying on the plug.

Another factor is that with the head gasket leaking, that cylinder(s) may not have enough compression pressure to fire properly.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
94-95's were common for blowing gaskets, not really any newer than that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow.... I am truly a overreactor lol i videoed it and i showed it to my dad who has been a mechanic for 30+ years he said it was normal because of course the exhaust is a lot hotter then the air around it and that the water coming out of the pipe was just condensation....... It hadnt been ran for about thursday night and past nights have been at or below 32 degrees althoe i dont know what was causing it to miss i think it might have factory spark plugs ii hope to god they arnt because this car has 172xxx miles on it ( first car) so if it does those things are shot

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Robbiemustang96 said:
Wow.... I am truly a overreactor lol i videoed it and i showed it to my dad who has been a mechanic for 30+ years he said it was normal because of course the exhaust is a lot hotter then the air around it and that the water coming out of the pipe was just condensation....... It hadnt been ran for about thursday night and past nights have been at or below 32 degrees althoe i dont know what was causing it to miss i think it might have factory spark plugs ii hope to god they arnt because this car has 172xxx miles on it ( first car) so if it does those things are shot
I was going to say this, but I didn't want to sound like a ******. And you said "not that cold outside" so idk.. Normally it's blueish smoke when you blow a gasket

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
The bluish smoke usually comes from oil.
A blown head gasket can make them spew out lots of white smoke.
Condensation like he says, will also cause white smoke, but it clears up after the exhaust has warmed up enough to get rid of the moisture.
Burning coolant smoke does not clear up and can get much worse when the engine has warmed up and the RPMs get higher.
What you can do to tell the difference is smell the smoke.
Coolant smoke smells like burnt antifreeze.
Condensation just smells like exhaust.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was going to say this, but I didn't want to sound like a ******. And you said "not that cold outside" so idk.. Normally it's blueish smoke when you blow a gasket
Usually black is fuel,,blue is oil,,and white is coolant..

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

The bluish smoke usually comes from oil.
A blown head gasket can make them spew out lots of white smoke.
Condensation like he says, will also cause white smoke, but it clears up after the exhaust has warmed up enough to get rid of the moisture.
Burning coolant smoke does not clear up and can get much worse when the engine has warmed up and the RPMs get higher.
What you can do to tell the difference is smell the smoke.
Coolant smoke smells like burnt antifreeze.
Condensation just smells like exhaust.
Not real familiar with that engine ,,but we had sevaral 4.2 v6s blow the intake gasket and cause the same symtom

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I see, all I know is my dads dodge blew at 103k and it would blow out bluish smoke, along with white also. Would run rough, was a pos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts