Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I installed a pair of BMR Vertical Links Delrin/Spherical on my 16' at the end of December. Links did a great job of eliminating wheel hop. Two months ago I noticed a small squeak developing that over the space of a month would actually turn heads. Short version spent this past weekend chasing down the squeak. Chasing a mystery squeak under a car is no easy task. I was convinced it was some Steeda IRS bushings and it wasn't. Removed the BMR vertical links and relubed them, squeak gone. I've run a number of BMR suspension components in my past two Mustangs without issue even using the same can of grease. Even though the squeak is gone, I suspect it will return in two months. Removing the BMR v-links to relube every two months isn't going to fly. I reached out to BMR Tech this am to see what input they have.

I thought I'd share this to other squeak chasers because chasing down that noise on my car was challenging and about drove me nuts.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
BMR tech called today on issue. He said vehicles not running stiff suspension ends up putting more force on delrin and the squeak is far from uncommon in these situations. I have to say same day response to my email with a phone call was nice, as was the tech trying to be helpful. But I was surprised that I read this nowhere prior to buying these links. Not BMR literature wise but anywhere. Only option is to replace the v link with a non delrin part or upgrade my suspension to stiff track ready to avoid relube every 60 days. Bravado aside, I'll likely be replacing the v links in a couple of months. Disappointed in part and how no one mentioned this in any product reviews.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMR tech called today on issue. He said vehicles not running stiff suspension ends up putting more force on delrin and the squeak is far from uncommon in these situations. I have to say same day response to my email with a phone call was nice, as was the tech trying to be helpful. But I was surprised that I read this nowhere prior to buying these links. Not BMR literature wise but anywhere. Only option is to replace the v link with a non delrin part or upgrade my suspension to stiff track ready to avoid relube every 60 days. Bravado aside, I'll likely be replacing the v links in a couple of months. Disappointed in part and how no one mentioned this in any product reviews.
I have the spherical on both sides one...

BMR Billet Aluminum Mustang Vertical Links - Spherical Bearings TCA045 (15-17 All) - Free Shipping

...and I'm very suspicious that it is what's causing my creaking groaning.

Taking them off tonight or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my wife to listen to both sides to determine which side had more creak then I swapped them and relubed. Logic was if creak was more on the same side after I swapped sides for the V-links I'd eliminate them as the culprit. It was the v-links in my case. Curious about your situation. BMR told me the Delrin is what caused the noise in the v-link. If you have the spherical/metal on top and bottom and have it... yikes! Let me know who it turns out brother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my wife to listen to both sides to determine which side had more creak then I swapped them and relubed. Logic was if creak was more on the same side after I swapped sides for the V-links I'd eliminate them as the culprit. It was the v-links in my case. Curious about your situation. BMR told me the Delrin is what caused the noise in the v-link. If you have the spherical/metal on top and bottom and have it... yikes! Let me know who it turns out brother.
SOLVED - Quick thing, it eventually started happening on both sides.

After going out in the 70+ degree and sunny day, I waited for it to start making the noise. Rushed home, jacked it up, took the wheels off and loosened the vertical links. Pushing stuff around I could faintly hear the creaking / groaning. I'm using one hand to move stuff around and the other to feel around for the vibration. Turned out to the be the damn BMR Adjustable Rear Toe Links. Specifically the open ball joint at the top connected to the subframe. (Picture should show up under here.) I had a can of white lithium grease, sprayed it all around, wiggled the joint around, sprayed some more, wiggled it around and dropped it.

I ended up spraying the vertical links too because they're straight spherical bushings.

And then nothing but silence as I tore around the back roads. Holy hell is it a beautiful thing.

Unless I missed something in the instructions for those toe links, having to keep greasing them myself could turn out to be a little annoying, but I'm just happy I found it.

2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m about to try Steeda S550 Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links with Polyurethane Bushings All (2015-2020)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts