Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
All depends on what kit you are wanting. Kits range in price from cheap-o fiberglass kits to the roush kits pretty much. As far as install goes, not really that hard, you could do it yourself with a few handtools and alot of patience to learn. And painting...oxford white is pretty easy to match up believe it or not, and it's just a matter of finding someone who can paint...

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
it basically depends on what body kit you get, if you get a cheap fiberglass one that is gonna crack it would be cheap but then if you go for the roush which is like the most expensive kit then you get my point... just figure around 500 plus the cost of the body kit that you want to get

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Dom said:
If you didn't spend atleast a grand for the kit, be prepared to spend a grand in body work. My only advice, don't skimp on bumpers.
werd, cheap bumpers usually come warped and the body men have to do a bunch of stuff to them.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Actually, a lot of people really don't know how to work fiberglass or they get a crappy piece. If you can hold the bumper up to sun and see your hand through it, you got a crappy piece. You just about have to spend $400 per bumper to get a good piece. Cervini's fiberglass is really good. At look how much the fiberglass Stalker bumper costs on the '94-'98. I belive it is about $395.

The second part is, most body shops will get some guy who will get a fiberglass bumper, bondo it, and paint it. It doesn't work like that. You have to sand on the bumper itself and then let it sit out and dry. This is where you get the horror stories about guys who took their fiberglass hoods to get painted and about a week later the paint starts to bubble up and peel off because the resin came back up.

You make and break a paint job in the prep work. That's the difference between a $1,000 and a $100,000 paint job. :cool:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Dom said:
Actually, a lot of people really don't know how to work fiberglass or they get a crappy piece. If you can hold the bumper up to sun and see your hand through it, you got a crappy piece. You just about have to spend $400 per bumper to get a good piece. Cervini's fiberglass is really good. At look how much the fiberglass Stalker bumper costs on the '94-'98. I belive it is about $395.

The second part is, most body shops will get some guy who will get a fiberglass bumper, bondo it, and paint it. It doesn't work like that. You have to sand on the bumper itself and then let it sit out and dry. This is where you get the horror stories about guys who took their fiberglass hoods to get painted and about a week later the paint starts to bubble up and peel off because the resin came back up.

You make and break a paint job in the prep work. That's the difference between a $1,000 and a $100,000 paint job. :cool:
couldnt have said it better myself

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Dom said:
I said most. ;)
i must admit though for a seventeen year old you know alot about body work, u plan to work at a shop.
ive been working at a shop part timr for a couple of months its pretty awesome

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I was in a Ag 1, Ag 1.5 (Which was actually the CMS Class. :lol: ), and Ag 2 class that was heavy on restoring old tractors. I painted two '52 Fords. Fisher has one like what I did. I learned how to bondo, do fiberglass patching, and paint in there. I spent one hour a day for one month on a single fender try to get it perfect again. It was so far gone that it really needed to be replaced, but they were signature fenders (They said Ford on them.) and we couldn't find replacements.

I'm happy that I know enough not to go get screwed over if I ever needed any paint work done at a shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts