Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys a couple of question for you engine guru's. I was looking at 2 and 4 bolt main stuff because this guy at work keeps saying hes going to build a car and the only thing he knows about it is that he wants a chevy 4 bolt main. So anyway, I see now after doing some google research that the 4 bolt main means that there is 4 bolts holding the crankshaft in place. This is what I want to know,
What is that purpose of the 4 bolt main?
I think I know but I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It is a stronger block. I have heard of some new trucks having six bolt mains. (I think it was dodge :uhh: ) The ar302 block or whatever is a 4 bolt main. Really good block.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So some of our 302's have 4 bolt mains?

·
Registered
517 Posts
No, all ford stock 302's come with 2 bolt main. Most the chevy's including (i think) the 305 come with four bolt mains. Don't know why ford did that. But they are still pretty strong.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if you put it together with good parts it will take 500rwhp before you need to worry about the block

·
Registered
517 Posts
SpectorV said:
if you put it together with good parts it will take 500rwhp before you need to worry about the block
Yup

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dunno, its a design aspect, 4 bolt is better, but ford typically uses a larger bolt and only 2 of them, you won't need 4 bolt mains unless your building a monster :)

they have 4 bolt main kits that are basically new endcaps, you just have to have your block tapped for the extra bolts, they have lots of block strentheners for the 302, since its typically the weakest link, lots of products that make the block stronger, some work, some not so much, not too experienced with 4 bolt mains on a 302

most people use the 2 vrs 4 bolt main thing as a way to measure the overall strength of a block, especially chevy, because the stronger blocks come with 4 bolt, the econo versions come with 2 bolt mains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts