Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start this thread off I have been asked to help build a push rod Boss 302 to be installed in 1970 Trans AM Mustang. The Mustang will be built to pre 1972 Trans AM specs although there will be some modifications to the chassis and drive train to bring it up to current vintage racing standards. As I stated in an earlier post the 302 will be somewhere in the 310/318ci range and must be in the 550/600hp range...at the crank. We are still in the beginning stages of selecting parts and putting a budget together. The budget for the motor has not be totally worked out although it will be beween $20/25k. Since this is motor is going to shoot for the moon most of the internal parts will be custom made such as the crank/rod/pistons/cam which is the reason the cost is so high.
I know from past experience that a Boss 302 push rod motor can make 500hp with nothing more than a blue print, different cam and headers...my ole 70 Maverick had a similar motor in it when running NHRA B/SM some 36 years ago and was turning 10.30's in the 1/4 mile...3100lb car/4spd Liberty with 5.13 gears. I'm very confident that with a set of CHI heads a 302 can make 550hp. So we'll see if it can make close to 600hp and live for a full season of racing!?

I'm starting this thread for a couple of reasons, one is that there has been interest in seeing a push rod 302 built and the other is to show some of "blue printing" that goes into building a full on race motor...which can also be accomplished on any motor which will improve the longevity of any motor. We will also be choosing components, machining for clearances, the proper way to set up a push rod valve train, how to use a degree wheel to check valve timing, and assembling a motor along with how and why to use an engine dyno.

This motor was built long before a lot of you were born...first question is how many know what this is...without searching google or any website?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Mechanical fuel injection.
Not sure of the manufacturer though... That would require some googling! Lol.

What kind of fuel will this engine be running on?

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 4 barrel carb built by Autolite specifically for the Boss 302. Trans AM rules specify you have to run a OE carb although they did not limit the CFM and this one flows almost 1400cfm. With the manifold they were called the Cross Boss and today if you can find one for sale they are in the $7000/$10000 range.
The motor will run VP110.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To paraphrase you...Holy Crap you actually found this on Craigslist in the UK.
If it's not a scam it could be the buy of life time...even if it's missing the original air cleaner.
I sent the person an email...guess we'll find out, thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good luck with the build John! In for the ride.

Ran a Boss 302 in a 65 Comet in G/Gas and was building a Boss 302 Maverick for B/SM until NHRA drooped the class. Still have a Boss 302 70 Mustang that needs some TLC. Hope to get working on it one of these days.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry it's been so long between posts...starting from scratch just takes a lot of leg work.
I can say right now that there are some real gray areas as to how this motor should be built to "factory specs".?!
Got the funding to purchase the block, heads, crank, rods and pistons.
OEM Boss 302 block, have been corresponding with Scott at CHI talking about heads, Crower on the crank, Cunningham on the rods and Probe and Ross regarding the pistons.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Interesting thread, I knew the photo was a carb but am not very familiar with the Boss spec. motor, I'll troll along with the updates here, fun times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry it's been so long between posts...starting from scratch just takes a lot of leg work.

I can say right now that there are some real gray areas as to how this motor should be built to "factory specs".?!

Got the funding to purchase the block, heads, crank, rods and pistons.

OEM Boss 302 block, have been corresponding with Scott at CHI talking about heads, Crower on the crank, Cunningham on the rods and Probe and Ross regarding the pistons.

I think I'm speaking for everyone here, so when are you gonna open that present?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang SRCaADDz:)53

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just waiting for some dry weather to head down south and bring it home in the pickup...Haven't you heard the NorthWest has been hit with storm after storm...etc. As Aristotle once said, "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet", or something like that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heads ordered along with rods, pistons and crank.
Just surprising how long it takes to get parts that are custom made...kind of used to buying parts from companies like Summit Racing and getting them within a day or two...not a month or two.
Christmas should be really fun this year.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts