Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did it a few months ago on my '12 GT (so the install and result should be the same).

In short ... awesome. Coupled with my Roush axlebacks, it's LOUD with the baffles removed. My son's bedroom overlaps the garage by 1/2 and he says when I start the car it shakes his room.

There is some SLIGHT cabin drone at around 2k - 2.5k that you can only hear with the radio off and the windows up. Weather permitting, I drive windows-down most of the time.

It's an expensive mod ... but I am not sorry I installed it. It's awesome. Shop around - I picked mine up for $699.

Install is mechanically easy - but I did it on a set of race ramps in the garage and it was a claustrophobic nightmare that lasted several hours ... there is just no room to work and that made it suck. Hooking up the new h-pipe to the mid pipes was literally me laying on my stomach, flat, reaching forward facing the rear of the car with my head touching the car and my chin on the floor. My car is lowered and it was that tight. On a lift it would probably have taken < 1 hour and been easy.

Again - with anything other than the stock mufflers, it's going to be loud with the baffles removed. Personally, I don't see spending $700 just to block off the exhaust, so I'll never put the baffles in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did it a few months ago on my '12 GT (so the install and result should be the same).

In short ... awesome. Coupled with my Roush axlebacks, it's LOUD with the baffles removed. My son's bedroom overlaps the garage by 1/2 and he says when I start the car it shakes his room.

There is some SLIGHT cabin drone at around 2k - 2.5k that you can only hear with the radio off and the windows up. Weather permitting, I drive windows-down most of the time.

It's an expensive mod ... but I am not sorry I installed it. It's awesome. Shop around - I picked mine up for $699.

Install is mechanically easy - but I did it on a set of race ramps in the garage and it was a claustrophobic nightmare that lasted several hours ... there is just no room to work and that made it suck. Hooking up the new h-pipe to the mid pipes was literally me laying on my stomach, flat, reaching forward facing the rear of the car with my head touching the car and my chin on the floor. My car is lowered and it was that tight. On a lift it would probably have taken < 1 hour and been easy.

Again - with anything other than the stock mufflers, it's going to be loud with the baffles removed. Personally, I don't see spending $700 just to block off the exhaust, so I'll never put the baffles in.
Awesome I have the roush axel backs as well. You wouldn't have a sound clip or video of your setup would you?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Awesome I have the roush axel backs as well. You wouldn't have a sound clip or video of your setup would you?
I wish I did ... I took one with my phone but the sound quality is terrible. What I did was check Youtube for Boss 302's with Roush axle-backs ... there were several videos on there of people that had this setup and the sound is the same.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the boss exhaust with Borla s type ab. Had both installed at the same time so I don't know what it sounds like with just either one on but they are decently loud. No drone. Never had baffles on either. There is a lot of gurgle noise on downshifts and is nice all around.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=us8S9ybWl-U

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, lots of "gurgle" when coasting ... I love it. It's a real head-turner on a cold-start in parking lots. People notice. :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have the boss exhaust with Borla s type ab. Had both installed at the same time so I don't know what it sounds like with just either one on but they are decently loud. No drone. Never had baffles on either. There is a lot of gurgle noise on downshifts and is nice all around.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=us8S9ybWl-U
I would think it would be nice for someone with the borla stingers because they have no highs at all, they are just low end deep growling and the boss side exhausts would add to that filling in the upper gap if you want that.

Personally I like the stingers how they are and don't miss my roush at all but that is personal preference.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
nosympathy said:
I would think it would be nice for someone with the borla stingers because they have no highs at all, they are just low end deep growling and the boss side exhausts would add to that filling in the upper gap if you want that.

Personally I like the stingers how they are and don't miss my roush at all but that is personal preference.
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by no highs. I'm running the roush you had now.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by no highs. I'm running the roush you had now.
As in the pitch of the mufflers. Even at 7500RPM the borla are deep. They don't rasp and scream like a NASCAR car at any RPM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts