Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 2000 GT and it has a few things that need repaired. First thing I want to tackle is the brake pedal that is binding when the pedal gets close to full brake. In speaking to a repair shop they seem to think it is the hydrobost or power steering pump. I'm leaning to the hydrobost. But I'm also wondering if it could be one of the brake caliper pistons. Has anyone every had this problem before or any suggestions to confirm problem before I purchase a 280.00 part and tear everything apart to find out that it's something else. Any insight would help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
caliper pistons stuck would lock/drag your breaks you would fell like the car is being held back when you say "brake pedal that is binding when the pedal gets close to full brake" is the brake staying down or is there a place where it is sticking/catching Does it have anti lock brakes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caliper pistons stuck would lock/drag your breaks you would fell like the car is being held back when you say "brake pedal that is binding when the pedal gets close to full brake" is the brake staying down or is there a place where it is sticking/catching Does it have anti lock brakes
Not caliper pistons, no fluid leaking. The pedal does not stay down. It feels like the pedal is hitting a bump. I belive the shaft that runs through the firewall is binding in the booster.

I was thinking today that maybe I need to bleed the brakes one more time. But I ruled that out again today because if air was in the lines it would be a soft feeling from the start. Or am I wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yea if there was air the pedal would go way down and feel real soft do you have anti lock brakes have you ever felt that how the pedal jumps real quick is that the feeling if not then i would say the booster

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea if there was air the pedal would go way down and feel real soft do you have anti lock brakes have you ever felt that how the pedal jumps real quick is that the feeling if not then i would say the booster
im pretty sure i have anti lock brakes but i dont think thats the problem.
but it is like a jump so i could be wrong.

when im just sitting in the car and i press down hard on the breaks abt 3/4 of the way down its a hard fast jump. It almost feels like the pedal doesnt want to go any further but it is able to be forced further.

·
Registered
295 Posts
try doing it in park with the engine running if it is a machical problem you should still feel it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i still feel it in park with the engine on.
do you have any idea what it could be????

·
Registered
295 Posts
my best gess is the Booster cyclinder (I've always called it the slave cyclinder) on your brake pedal you will see a rod going through the fire wall the cyclinder is on the wall in the engine bay I have had a floor mat cause that problem before

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
im pretty sure i have anti lock brakes but i dont think thats the problem.
but it is like a jump so i could be wrong.

when im just sitting in the car and i press down hard on the breaks abt 3/4 of the way down its a hard fast jump. It almost feels like the pedal doesnt want to go any further but it is able to be forced further.
my car does that. and does a few other stangs. i never knew it was an issue. stops fine for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts