Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 66 has been sitting in the garage for a month or so without being started, I tried to turn it on the other day and it won't turn. I think it's not sending gas. But that's not my concern. My problem is the brakes aren't working at all. I checked the brake fluid and it's full. It might have some air in there or something. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew how to purge the brake fluid so I can add new one

·
Registered
4 Posts
you will need to bleed the brakes , quick google search on that there will be much info, But I don't understand brakes don't work at all, even with air in the line they work but soft, if the peddle goes to the floor you have bigger problem then air in the lines

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You said it had been a month since starting, how long since you tried the brakes? Seems very strange that the brakes would not work after only a month of sitting. Sounds like something beyond needing to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try that. The brakes worked fine. But then I tried to move it out and the pedal goes straight down with no pressure at all. I topped off the brake fluid and the pedal gave a little bit of pressure but barely noticeable. What else could it be though? It should be a simple brake system right? :D haha

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said it had been a month since starting, how long since you tried the brakes? Seems very strange that the brakes would not work after only a month of sitting. Sounds like something beyond needing to bleed the brakes.
The brakes worked when I last ran it. I usually take it out of my garage to work on my other cars

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The brakes worked when I last ran it. I usually take it out of my garage to work on my other cars
If you pump the hell out of the pedal, does it help or not? Sounds like you have a leak, if adding fluid helped. Does the hand brake hold the car? You might have a bad piston in the brake cylinder on the rears, assuming you have drums on the back and it won't hold pressure.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have you checked the wheel cylinders on all 4 wheels? If you blew a seal you won't get pedal pressure and you continue to lose fluid until its gone. If there are no leaks, it could be the master cylinder but strange that it would go from working to not in a month while not being used.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. But I don't think the brake fluid is leaking. But just right now, I was just playing around with the brake pedal just furiously pushing it down. Then I got tired and lifted it all the way up and heard a click. Now the brakes work and have pressure. I can hear the pads hitting against the drums now. Weird

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks guys. But I don't think the brake fluid is leaking. But just right now, I was just playing around with the brake pedal just furiously pushing it down. Then I got tired and lifted it all the way up and heard a click. Now the brakes work and have pressure. I can hear the pads hitting against the drums now. Weird
Check your Master Cylinder push rod and make sure it is adjusted correctly. Also I am assuming they are not power brakes because you said drums. Check the push rod from the brake pedal to the master cylinder to make sure it is seated correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts