Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 V6 that I love more than my gf(I pray she won't read this). But the brake system is messing up. It's got a new master cylinder, new calipers, new rotors, new pads, and new hoses. All this was done before I bought it 2 months ago. But 3 of the 4 calipers are locked up/don't work. And the proportioning valve is leaking(not bad, just a lil). I don't make a lot of money so is there a cheap way to fix this? Sears didn't know if fixing the leak would make the calipers work. All they said was I need to do a fluid exchange/flush and replace the valve. Then see what happens. If the calipers still won't work then I gotta replace them. Maybe this is a sign to upgrade to the Cobra brake system? Hard to find Mustangs in junkyards tho. So if ya got extra parts hit me up. I won't pay an arm and a leg. So pls be reasonable.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
replace the valve...do a full bleeding to get any air out of the system. see how that works for you. If you decide to replace the calipers honestly i'd stay oem. a NE has decent calipers and with the right pads, fluid, and brake lines they will be a very nice performance setup.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
1slosix said:
replace the valve...do a full bleeding to get any air out of the system. see how that works for you. If you decide to replace the calipers honestly i'd stay oem. a NE has decent calipers and with the right pads, fluid, and brake lines they will be a very nice performance setup.
+11. Be sure to start with the master cylinder first!.. Might have some air up in there!..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the problem is the valve? Once I replace it and do a flush the other 3 calipers will work? And where is the valve at? Also I know OEM brakes are good on that car. But I plan to get 18s on the car and will need bigger brakes. So the Cobra being setup for 17s seems like a good choice. I just want this car to be safe.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Can't go wrong with 13" rotors. Check and make sure the piston is pushed back all the way, sometimes you just never know

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i don't think it's an actual valve on our cars but built into the MC...i know they make after markets though. have you even bleed the brakes yet since buying the car? if not go ahead and do so...who knows if the original owner did the brake job right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts