Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Probably not...

The brake pad sizes differ based on the size of the rotors, and the size of the rotors depends on the size of the wheel.

Speaking with that generalization, I'm assuming the 98 GT had a larger wheel, making it's brake pads larger than that of the 96 v6.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Brake pads vary depending on the car normally. Unless the GT and V6 had the same caliper assembly, I would guess they are different

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
That is not a dumb question. Actually here is the low down on the Brake systems. 96 and 98 GT's and V6's have the exact same Brake systems and Calipers. The pads are Identical but they have different part numbers if you go to buy them at ford or some parts stores but they are the same. I have heard they are of a different material but I have yet to seemn actual proof that is true.

In 99 they changed the Calipers to Dual piston PBR's but then again both V6's and GT's got the same calipers!!!!

·
Banned
321 Posts
No need to feel dumb, it was actually a really good question. I am sure there are others that werent sure, but now since you posted your question... They know now.

Never feel dumb when posting, we are all here to learn/help... :D

And.. Thanks Brother Corey...

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hm...thanks for setting me straight...lol

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
NJStang86 said:
Probably not...

The brake pad sizes differ based on the size of the rotors, and the size of the rotors depends on the size of the wheel.

Speaking with that generalization, I'm assuming the 98 GT had a larger wheel, making it's brake pads larger than that of the 96 v6.
the rotor size does NOT depend on the size of the wheels

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh...rotor size does make a difference. You can't put 16 inch rotors and 16 inch rims..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts