Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should I break in my gears and t-lok before I really get down on them? I'm gonna be taking about a 15 mile freeway drive home from the performance shop, so that will help them break in. I've heard that driving off and on helps break them in. Not really sure, just let me know, thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
would 100 miles be plenty?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I have always drove a couple of days getting it hot and letting it cool down several cycles. Unless the gears are used then they dont require break-in

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
100 miles is good, but make sure its over about 3-4 days. dont just go out and drive 100 the day you get them. it takes about 3 heating and cooling cycles to set the gears. so like corey said.. a couple days

·
Registered
941 Posts
did you just swap the gears, or did you swap rears? if you swapped rears, then you need to retighten the suspension bolts a couple hundred miles later.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
they need to heat up and cool or somethign i belive could be wrong. I never broke mine in but i dont go aroudn doing burn outs just drove normally. someone told me to drive a 10 miles or so (home) and let it sti and drive a few more letit sit do this a few times.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
yeah, thats breaking it in

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was told 500 miles by a Ford Tech after an installation of gears and t-lok. That leaves plenty of time to heat cycle the metal and allow the friction modifier to wear the clutches evenly so nothing sticks.

Of course I didn't take this to heart and as soon as I got my car back I got on it from a stop on a country road and found me and my friend in a ditch with my car. Good thing it only cracked a foglite and cracked the bumper a bit. Gave an excuse for cobra upgrade :D

I've never had any problems though with no break in with over 100 1/4 mile runs, tons of street races and 1.8 60' times.

Its hard to keep your foot out when you know you just got something cool installed.

When the motor goes in I'm putting block of wood under the gas :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts