Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to assemble my 4.6L 2V Mustang engine. My question is, How many miles are required on these engines until they are "broken in?" I was told that its 80k? But I would like to make sure.

And also, does anyone know where I can buy the main wire harness for this car? I cant find one anywhere.

Thanks and wish me luck :)

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
I don't know where you got 80k from but a typical new engine is around 500-1000 miles.

Also, it is generally recommended not to use synthetic oil in a new engine, though you can find people that say they did it with no problems. I tend to lean towards better safe than sorry. I'd run regular oil in the new engine for 750-1000 miles and then change the oil to whatever oil you will be running in it for the life of the engine.

I am sure you will have plenty of opinions to sort through but 80k miles is not going to be close to one of them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brent said:
It is thinner than traditional motor oil and more likely to leak through piston rings that have not been "broken in".
Oh ok, So synthetic is more for higher miles then

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
seems many use break in oil on the first start up, let it run for a little bit then drain it, inspect for metal if you have any do it again.

then drive with oil (not sure if break in or just regular) for about 500-1000k then drain/inspect then you should be about good to go. Take it easy for the first oil change or two so everything gets set and you should be ready to go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts