Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I ran into a great deal for a set of practically new Brembo slotted rotors and calipers. They only have about 9.5k-10k miles on them and aren't rusted or anything.

I can get them for $190 with $40 shipping. Good deal? Also... is that all I'd need to upgrade my brakes? How much of a difference will I notice with the Brembo's? And are these the same ones they put on 03+ Cobras?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an email I got back from the seller -- interesting stuff to know...

Cobra brakes are PBR just line the LX,GT. Cobra has a (2) piston design with a (13) inch Rotor. Basically besides the fancy caliper cover that has Cobra imprinted in it and the rotor size it is not much different. Brembo is a (4) piston caliper that was standard on the Cobra R in 2000. Brembo compared to a SVT non R edition brakes is like comparing a Sallen Extreme S281 against a Stock GT. PBR (2) piston have been upgraded since the (98) brakes but can and will not live up to a (4) piston Caliper with slotted rotors. FYI Cross Drilled have less pad traction/grab surface than a slotted rotor and will be pron ed to cracking after 9,000 miles. Never go with Cross Drilled rotors (THEY JUST LOOK COOL).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very good deal.I am putting slotted rotors on my Mustang after 17x8 rim and tire upgrade. You should have very good stopping power and your brake pads wont hurt the rotor because it is slotted and the heat will abstract easy. It should also look good with the rims you have too!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arg.. the guy withdrew the auction from eBay and told me that he sold it to someone who offered $325 + shipping. He told me if I paid first he'd give them to me, but I told him I couldn't afford that atm.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You're probably better off. Buying used brakes = lose. $190 for Brembos would make me suspicious. The calipers alone are worth more than that. And you wouldn't know if they were messed up until after you got them on your car.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the guy said they only had 9500 miles on them, they weren't rusted or anything, and said the calipers were in great condition. Once again, he ended up selling them for 325 w/ 40 shipping, the $190 was just the starting bid price before he took down the auction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am waiting to take new pictures just got my scanner fixed.Thee funny part is I am a 1999 but a convertible. I am still rolling on stock rims. I am going to get 17x8 8 spoke gunmetal rims and 95% traction tires also.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
190 is to cheap probably has isues with them but you never know. you also need new brackets, brake lines, and what not. I just ordered from www.diskbrakesrus.com and got red powder coated calipers and powdercoated sliver rotors with pads, ss brake lines, brackets, sloted driled rotors very nice looking, with white pony like must35 same place he got his. its costly... but i needed new rotors and pads, and my friend is buying my oem calipers for 250 so thats 400 bucks i save on the kit, which is 599 with sloted/drilled rotors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts