Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all heard of limp mode. I'm dubbing this disco mode. No idea what's wrong but if anybody has any ideas feel free to chime in. This morning when I went to get in my car, as I walked up on it, I could see thru the window that my traction control light was flashing. My key faub would not work to unlock the doors either. I unlocked the car with my key and then put it in the ignition. The fuel pump did not kick on on there was no illumination on the dash. About 3 seconds later everything went haywire on the whole gauge cluster started flashing like a disco. This continued even after I removed the key. I disconnected the battery and waited a minute and hooked it back up and it all happened again.

http://youtu.be/qrzPbuI5XYQ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow that's crazy. I've never seen or heard of that!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whoa. Have you installed any aftermarket electronics i. e. radio, alarm, gauges? It's strange how there is a relay clicking on off quickly. I would also test your battery. It may not be a battery issue but I've seen low batteries do strange things to vehicles. If you have installed aftermarket electronics then check splices at anything that links with ignition switch. This may also be a weird ignition switch problem. Ignition switch would control cluster initialization and fuel pump activation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was sorely disappointed that disco music didn't accompany the strobe light effect in your video.

I'd bring her in asap, and raise hell if needed. Raising hell is always an option I leave on the table if I get d*cked around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing after I flashed my tune to the car. I had decided to take the battery out and have it tested and found it had a dead cell. Replaced the battery and haven't seen that since. Might be worth looking at. I literally lost it when mine did that!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad battery. All better now. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, the dealer will never touch my car. I wish there was a way to decline the warranty and they'd give you a discount on the purchase price.

So it was a bad cell in the battery, the car goes into a low voltage fault mode. Everything else is fine. $110 fix from advance with a 3 year warranty on the new battery. All is well in the land of smo. I was on the verge on violence though. Lol.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
primer2tone said:
Reverting back to DEFCON 3...
You can sleep soundly tonight knowing smozilla isn't going on a awe inspiring rampage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope, the dealer will never touch my car. I wish there was a way to decline the warranty and they'd give you a discount on the purchase price.

So it was a bad cell in the battery, the car goes into a low voltage fault mode. Everything else is fine. $110 fix from advance with a 3 year warranty on the new battery. All is well in the land of smo. I was on the verge on violence though. Lol.
Glad it was something simple. I did the same thing and went to Advance. Got a better battery than what came in it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bad an F150 do something like that. It was a 2000, so no awesome lights but the gauges shot back and forth until I pulled the key. It wouldn't drive. Turned out to be battery

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

DWC_SmOziLLa said:
Bad battery. All better now. Thanks everyone.
And this is why I should read the entire thread before responding....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts