Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
slow281
3,069 Posts
Anyway to prevent his from chipping? I assume there's no way to fix it without a paint job, but just don't want it to chip! Thanks
Probably not without reprinting.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Anyway to prevent his from chipping? I assume there's no way to fix it without a paint job, but just don't want it to chip! Thanks
Is this bubbling only on the surface or is it starting under the hood? Not sure how new it is but if under warranty I would talk to your dealer...only way to fix is a repaint IMO. I know many that use a clear bra to protect the hood...but that would not work for you. I would also suggest searching online for any known TSB's for your car regarding this problem. TSB'S is technical service bulletin...and most are posted online for all makes and models. Good luck....

I do know that many of the S197 mustangs have a problem with bubbling at the seam inside the hood where the metal is folded....I would suspect you have bubbling all along the seams....and sorry again but there was no TSB'S for this one just a known problem.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have the same exact problem on mine, i went to the shop and the guy said that if your going too repaint just the section were the bubble is, it will just going to keep coming up. This are known with mustang 2005 and up. I decided to buy a new hood with style that i like and paid the same amount from what the guy quoted me for my old hood. The chipping was just too bad that i have to get a new hood. If you open your hood you can see that the bubbles is underneath it too if you havent notice it yet.. Good luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the same exact problem on mine, i went to the shop and the guy said that if your going too repaint just the section were the bubble is, it will just going to keep coming up. This are known with mustang 2005 and up. I decided to buy a new hood with style that i like and paid the same amount from what the guy quoted me for my old hood. The chipping was just too bad that i have to get a new hood. If you open your hood you can see that the bubbles is underneath it too if you havent notice it yet.. Good luck.
Excellent point...put the same dollars on a whole new look. Problem I believe is on all 2005 thru 2009 mustang hoods.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks guys, despite your depressing outlook haha. Mine is a 2002, did this generation also have problems like the ones you're discussing with the 2005+? A new hood would be nice!
Not sure on that year, but I would still check under hood and I still think a full repaint or replacement are the only options. Maybe check a salvage yard...you never know you might find a clean hood in your color.....good luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Its caused by contaminants under the paint. And repainting is the only way to fix. Take it to a body shop and see if that can spot paint it and burn it in that way you dont have to repaint the whole thing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts