Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys have rebuilt a 3.8 like just got one to work on(not the one in your car) just build it up and then maybe put it in your car. How much do you think it would cost to do something like that?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Well figure....

Block w/ crank rods and pistons
- all new say around 2 or 3 grand
-SC block maybe 800-1100 or less depending on its condition

Heads
-stockers maybe 400 or so?? Im not sure
-RPM or SSX 900 or so

Cam
-200 ballpark

Intakes
-Stock maybe 200 for both
-RPM or SSX maybe 400 for both?

Oil pan
-deep sump maybe 300?

Thats basics you can reuse the rest, but thats what you would want to upgrade. You could always build a 4.2 instead, but I know nothing about them Then you need to get new lines, plugs, gaskets, injectors, wiring, motor mounts, or little stuff people always forget about. Might be able to reuse old stuff.

Its expensive

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
you're looking at a few dollars to get a head/cam/intake setup with good roller rockers and stuff. Install if expensive on heads and cam unless you know what you're doing to install them yourself.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm selling parts from a 4.2 that will work for you. Look for it in the powertrain section of the classifieds.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know how to work on engines...im in the process of helping a buddy of mine rebuild a 350(going in his TA its gonna be mean)and i can install it and everything at shop class.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
LMK if you need a cam, I've designed some of the most successful V6 cams
going, and now I have a new lineup of grinders and springs, they really KILL!

Rob and I can help you select parts, and of course Rob sells them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts