Mustang Evolution Forum banner

381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Just kidding....I'm going to drive the hell out of it.

Changed O2 sensors...gave it another break-in oil change, and am installing the SDM550 by Plex Tuning this weekend. First real run at the drags will be July 10th at NE Dragway.
I am anticipating a 10 on the tenth from the clone....
Oh, and you too Medwards!
:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Sooo....I've been playing with the car on road courses. And oh my goodness. It is a track monster.

With that said, it's suspension is very tight at this point. And, I didn't want to loosen things up. But, I decided to go to the drags to see how it did. Needless to say the Michelin Super Sport Cup 2 tires are certainly not drag tires. And when a car has almost no weight transfer, it's very hard to get traction. My 60 foot times were (hahahaha) 2.1 secs. Did I say it's set up very stiff? However, on the other end of the track I was at 132mph through the traps....with a...ummm...13.4 sec elapsed time.

Sooo...needless to say, the car is not set up properly for the drags. Basically 1st gear is all spinning over 2,000rpm, 2nd gear is basically spinning with any decent amount of gas pedal applied, and 3rd gear slips easily as well. However, when I babied it up to 3rd and then let it have it to the end of 3rd and in 4th, I ended up with a respectable 132mph.

Oh ya....I forgot to mention I would hit the rev limited at 132 about 4 car lengths before the trap.

Sooo....put all this together and what have you got? I have no idea....hahahaha.

I'm guessing if I loosened the down links on the front and rear torsion bars to get some weight transfer and put the Mickey Thompson drag slicks on....and got a reasonable 60 second time with a lot less slipping....I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this car will run in the 10's.

Next year I am going to start out setting it up for drags and try to get a fast pass. Then I will set it back up for road course for the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Yeah, the trap speed definitely shows the potential of the car.

I certainly wouldn't start messing around with the suspension on a road course car that has a setup which is working well. Not in a quest for a quick drag racing time slip, anyway. I'm always afraid that I won't get it put back exactly the way that it was, and I'll need to relearn the handling characteristics of the car all over again.... It makes it difficult to become consistent if you are re-tuning the suspension all of the time.

You are just going to have to start building another car Medwards.....
:whistling:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
You are just going to have to start building another car Medwards.....
:whistling:
Hahahahahaha....my wife will divorce me. And, I'm pretty certain I've used up my "car budget" for the rest of my life ;-)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #387 (Edited)
Watson Racing builds the Cobra Jet. They built the engine in my car. Now, the Cobra Jet has the 5.2L in it with a monster 3.0L supercharger. That engine is a monster at producing HP. Mine will always be a 5.0L....

But....a number of the guys working at Watson Racing (when I showed up to test my car before it was shipped home), came up to me as I was doing compression checks in one of the bays in their building, and told me that my mustang was one of the most bad-a$$ mustangs they ever saw a "non-corporate sponsored" individual build. That put a huge smile on my face.

381 - 388 of 388 Posts