Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I was to build a 94-98 V6 to take a fair amount of boost, lets say around 20PSI.

What all would it take and how much money are we looking at just to build the complete engine. I wanna have it built and have time to break it in before adding the boost.

So take me through and tell me what I would need. Let's start with the block because that's where all my money is probally gonna end up at first. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm kinda doing the same thing to a 2001 engine

I'm planning on running around 20 psi from a procharger. I bought a used block that was in a crashed car, it was $500 on ebay, and about 170 to ship it half way across the country. I took it apart fairly easy, the actual hard part is getting it off the truck, on the ground, then back up onto a engine stand when its partially taken apart. I've only spend around $150 in tools for taking it apart (caliper (not needed yet), 90 piece socket wrench set). I'm getting 8.5 CR ross pistons, eagle rods, both forged, all the fuel upgrades, ported everything, new cam, and big valve heads for probably upwards of $3500 from RPM-mustangs.com. After I get it all, im' going to install it myself to save on labor. On tob of that stuff, I got a larger (70mm) throttle body from bbk for around $250 I think, and I need a spec clutch (stage III) for around $300 for when I balance it, and to take the power of the new engine + supercharger. I'll probably get an aluminum flywheel since i'm spending a ton of money anyway. I also got a 4.2 crank for about $200 from fordparts.com so you can either stroke it, or get a supercoupe crank, or keep your stock one. So i'm spending upwards of $4000 just for that, then the supercharger will hopefully go on in a year.

I'm shooting for 400ft/lbs of torque on 91 octane, and you may have a different goal. In order to just have a stronger engine, You would probably only need the forged stuff, and a girdle for the main caps, depending on the year of your car. You might as well get a cam to take advantage of the blower. The one thing I need to know is if I should get the engine dyno-tuned right after I build it and install it, or wait until I break it in. The reason I wonder is because during the dyno, they rev it really high, and I don't know if that's good on a engine that hasn't been broken in.

Thats a lot of general info, most likely some more experienced people will add to it, or correct me. Hope it helps

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 98. Corey said something that it has the same bottom end as the 99 V6.

It's the question on the crank. What would be stronger? Supercoupe or what? My plan is to build a streetable V6 here. Don't wanna end up like Dan. ;)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Supercoupe is stronger, it was built to handle boost, I think the walls on it are bigger. not to sure.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
yea with forged internals you can run higher boost, I am getting H/C/I for now, and then Ill worry bout the rest when I get more money

·
Registered
941 Posts
from talking with my machine shop friend that builds motors, a forged crank isn't really a priority on most motors... the two things that will destroy one is load and rpm. unless you're wanting a high revver, or make tons of boost, it's not neccessary. the 4.2 cranks are pretty massive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll be the first to admit my ignorance in regads to Ford specific information, but I do have turbo experience.

20 psi of boost on stock internals isn't unreasonable. I've done it with my turbo Plymouth Voyager and the key to sucessfully doing it is twofold. Intercooler and fuel. Both of which will keep detonation from occuring. Detonate at 20 psi of boost and your engine will fail.

The weakest link is what will fail. If you have stock internals it's usually the stock cast piston that will fail first. If you upgrade to forged then something else will fail. The big end of the rod will get hammered out of shape or the rod bearing will get squished and lose it's clearances. Ever see a rod bearing hammered flat as paper by a detonating turbo motor? I have.

Once you get the shortblock squared away then the headgaskets will fail, which is what I would rather have fail if I had a choice.

If you want to build a motor to handle 20 psi of boost RELIABLY you gott do a lot to it. Forged internals is a start. O ringed headgaskets, head studs, intercooling, and most importantly a computer that is PROPERLY tuned to the new engine setup, someone mail ordering a chip ain't gonna cut it, regardless of claims. Invest in a Tweecer unit and several hours of chassis dyno time.

Steve

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have a good selection of bottom end parts,
forged stuff and many rod choices. You could get
an SC crank and mildly offset grind it with a nice
forged rod I have and also custom forged pistons.
20 PSI and 6000 RPM is easily done, the camming
needed is mild and pretty easy on the valvetrain.
There is a new headgasket out there that I hope
to carry and it needs NO O-Rings! Used on many V8
builds well over 20 PSI. Might need 1/2" ARP studs tho...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I believe the newer Supercoupe Cranks are forged, not the pistons and rods, the pistons are dished and low compression, but not forged. Someone correct me if I am talking through my hat here.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Rick0636 said:
I believe the newer Supercoupe Cranks are forged, not the pistons and rods, the pistons are dished and low compression, but not forged. Someone correct me if I am talking through my hat here.
Rods were forged, but not pistons. And the only
cast SC cranks were the first part of the 89 production run.
All SC cranks after the 89 break were forged.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
dom, my friend matt works at delk performance in lebanon, he's put a bored honned and balanced 4.2 with forged everything in his 95 stang. right now he's making about 240 hp/230 tq N/A with low compression and only a lite dynotune.. he has most of the parts he needs for his turbo, he tells me he's just waiting on the wastegate, but he expects to hit around 400hp/350tq when he puts in the turbo and gets a full dynotune done. i don't claim to know all the details, he walked me through it in a rush a few weeks ago and my memory isn't great. but since you're in nashville, you can get ahold of him by calling delk performance on weekdays. just call and ask for matthew or "the v6 freak" ...i'm sure he'd be happy to help

white95v6 is his screen name. just tell him i sent you

lol @ v6 mafia

cloak and blade rocks

·
Registered
122 Posts
To take apart the whole motor and spend all that money and not use a Forged SC Crank seems a little dumb to me unless yo uare building a 4.2 in whic hcase there is no forged alternative.

Definetly get Diamond/Ross/Wiseco Dished Pistons, Eagle I or H Beam Rods, All ARP Studs, Morana Stud Girdle, MLS Head Gaskets.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
darkling said:
dom, my friend matt works at delk performance in lebanon, he's put a bored honned and balanced 4.2 with forged everything in his 95 stang. right now he's making about 240 hp/230 tq N/A with low compression and only a lite dynotune.. he has most of the parts he needs for his turbo, he tells me he's just waiting on the wastegate, but he expects to hit around 400hp/350tq when he puts in the turbo and gets a full dynotune done. i don't claim to know all the details, he walked me through it in a rush a few weeks ago and my memory isn't great. but since you're in nashville, you can get ahold of him by calling delk performance on weekdays. just call and ask for matthew or "the v6 freak" ...i'm sure he'd be happy to help

white95v6 is his screen name. just tell him i sent you

lol @ v6 mafia

cloak and blade rocks
You have got to get him on here and have him do a writeup or something! I want to do a turbo so badly!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
RGR said:
I have a good selection of bottom end parts,
forged stuff and many rod choices. You could get
an SC crank and mildly offset grind it with a nice
forged rod I have and also custom forged pistons.
20 PSI and 6000 RPM is easily done, the camming
needed is mild and pretty easy on the valvetrain.
There is a new headgasket out there that I hope
to carry and it needs NO O-Rings! Used on many V8
builds well over 20 PSI. Might need 1/2" ARP studs tho...
^RGR, how much does that forged SC crank run dollarwise? i'm told it'd need to be custom ground to fit a 4.2?

fill me in?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts