Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 mustang convertible and my wife just got finished washing it with a sprayer. All of a sudden sections of paint start flaking off on the front bumper. This is the factory bumper and it has never had a bra on it to cause rubbing etc and has never been wrecked. Any ideas on this? BTW I bought it from a dealership about 3 months ago and bought their extended warranty. Should this be covered under factory warranty or under the extended warranty. Or am I just out of luck?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
I would def take it to see if it is covered by the warranty. There are a bunch of things that could cause that. Is it the clear coat peeling off or is the paint coming off as well?

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
im willing to bet thats the clear coat. Does the paint look really dull now and not shiny? If so thats your clearcoat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope paint is flaking off the bumper. Couple of vertical strips. Will be calling the dealership today and see if it's covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update to the paint peeling episode. Went to the deal and talked to a lady in the body shop. She said she had 12 more stangs in there for the exact same thing. She even told me the color of my car before I could show her the bumper. I asked if this was under warranty and was told that if I had more than 36k miles on the car it wouldn't be covered. Well guess what, the car has 40k miles on it. Even having the extended warranty I still had to pay 204.00 to have 2 spots on the bumber painted at the dealership. What chaps me is that they had 12 OTHER stangs in there for the SAME EXACT thing. Sounds like a defect to me. Any ideas who I need to contact about this and possibly recouping my money?

·
Registered
800 Posts
hell I would call the paper/the news station and **** like that, sounds like the dealership doesnt have a good body shop and they f%$k'd up!

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
yea id make the problem known, or report them to the bbb u get enough crap on them and they will fix it

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
yeah what color? haha My clear coat is about 60% off my front bumper, even with a deal on paint and me to prep.. it will be over $700. this sucks, probly just buy a bra... GRRR

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Asterix said:
I have a 2001 mustang convertible and my wife just got finished washing it with a sprayer. All of a sudden sections of paint start flaking off on the front bumper. This is the factory bumper and it has never had a bra on it to cause rubbing etc and has never been wrecked. Any ideas on this? BTW I bought it from a dealership about 3 months ago and bought their extended warranty. Should this be covered under factory warranty or under the extended warranty. Or am I just out of luck?
This happens due to the fact that the bumper wasn't prepped correctly. When you paint cars, especially the bumpers, you need to do a water break test the whole time when sanding the bumper. If the water flashes out from any area on the bumper, it will become a problem-child down the road. Also, the correct primers and paints need to be used. If you bought this from a dealership, chances are that the body shop their is doing a half-assed job. The BBB could do wonders for you maybe, I would call them and see what they can do.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Fishers Stang said:
yeah what color? haha My clear coat is about 60% off my front bumper, even with a deal on paint and me to prep.. it will be over $700. this sucks, probly just buy a bra... GRRR
700 dollars to paint the front bumper!!!!

I can get my whole car painted for that professionally.

I can do it myself for 150 bucks :wtf2:

·
Registered
800 Posts
700$ Prof. Painted...BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSSBS!!!!

I dont call MACO Prof, you are most likely buying the paint yourself, at that rate!

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
No way for $700 you could paint all those defective bumpers! Like Brent said you could do it yourself for like $150.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
KrazyPony said:
700$ Prof. Painted...BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSSBS!!!!

I dont call MACO Prof, you are most likely buying the paint yourself, at that rate!
I can get it professionally repainted here for 700 Dollars with Dupont paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does Maco still exist? I remember around 10 years ago they had a lot of pissed off customers.

Maco is a cheap auto paint shop chain, at one point a bunch of people that had their cars done by them had the paint wash off after they washed the vehicle...

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
it's MAACO. Don't you guys remember. Better get MAACO.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
some of the mustangs in those years have issues with paint actually, i even think there is a recall or tsb rather if it happends ford should cover it if you fall in the TSB. dont look at ford to come out and tell you heck they might even lie to you so do some research at alldata.com or somewhere to see about any paint tsb's.

also you can paint the front for 200 bucks and get a GREAT paint job, just take off the front, its easy pull the pins behind the head light directly up, pull out and unplug the head light, then unbolt all push pins and the fender lip screws, then reach in each side and feel where the front bumper meets the fender (horazontal line to the ground of where they meet) you will feel 2 15mm bolts, take those off of each side pull out each fender gently (might take some force but try to be gentle) and before you take it off actually run some tap around the edges to protect aginst scratches. then slide it off adn thats it :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts