Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have an 05 V6 with 94K miles on it. for the last month I have had a burning plastic smell coming from the engine bay. I also can smell it in the interior when the heat is on. I have checked the exhaust system for any plastic bags because that has happened to me before but nothing is there. I also have looked to see if I can see any wires or plastic in the engine bay was melted and still can't find anything. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could it be the heater itself? If so how can I check to see? Any comments or info is much appreciated as always Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds reasonable that something got or broke off in the hvac air system has begun to melt. The air intake for the cabin filter is under the left side grille area by the wipers. So it seems possible to be able to smell something burning at or near the heater core coming out of it while the hoods open. It would explain being able to smell it from both under the hood and inside the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you get it figured out?

Sorry for the delay. No I haven't yet cat had been in the shop for a while after getting rear ended. (Nothing terrible, just body damage) should be getting her back in the next day or two and I'll prob start to problem solve again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Heater core leak? Though I wouldn't describe it that way, I've heard hot coolant smell described as burning plastic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's been a while but wanted to update. I had a small coolant leak from a hose not being clamped properly. And when I merged into a highway I found out quickly by the hose piping off and coolant going everywhere. But after fixing it and cleaning the engine bay. No more smell. Thank you everyone for all the helpful tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts