Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a pre 99 GT. But I'v been hearing how like 96 GT engine isnt that good.:confused: So im confused on this. How are the engines in the pre 99 gt's?

·
Registered
529 Posts
You can go look up the hp ratings somewhere but I think the 96 was around 215 bhp and I'm not sure about the tq, maybe 290 or so. it went up a bit in 97 then a lot in 99. They also had trouble with coolant leaks in the 96-98 GTs. If your going to go with pre 99, I'd suggest a 94/95. You can find more mods for the 5.0

·
Registered
123 Posts
I own a 00 gt and i love it but if pre 99 is what you want than that is what you should get! I also do not have much experience with mod motors however i like them and they offer good power. if I was in your shoes i would search for a very taken care of or loved car no matter the year. i have sold cars for a long time know and every car has its quirks.as long as proper maitenance is done both would be agood choice. there is alot that you can do to both. some more extreme than others. 5.0's are easier to wrench on, though. Just me and my .02 cents
Ted

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you can find a 96-98 that has had 99+ pi heads put on it they have higher compression than a 99+ and put out more hp. That is if you can find one. Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
96-97 GT 215
98 GT 225

If you get a 96-98 Gt you can put 99+ heads and intakes and be up to 260 hp like Rick said. I have many friend that have done it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
pre PI heads suck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but theres aftermarket heads out there so it no biggie. cant afford a 99+.

·
Registered
19 Posts
whipster24 said:
You can go look up the hp ratings somewhere but I think the 96 was around 215 bhp and I'm not sure about the tq, maybe 290 or so. it went up a bit in 97 then a lot in 99. They also had trouble with coolant leaks in the 96-98 GTs. If your going to go with pre 99, I'd suggest a 94/95. You can find more mods for the 5.0
torque on the 99+ gt's is about 280 so i gues 260 for the model hes lookin at.

If there is more questions about the pi head swap, just search stangnet for it. one guy did a whole photo shoot on his swap. theres a lot of tech over there, but u have to wade throu the bullchit and "v6 are gay" chit. thats why i stoped posting over there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts