Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well ive been talking to some of you about my idea to swap my automatic's t handle style shifter with a manual style knob and honestly it was aLOT easier then expected.
1st - take a flat head screw driver or somthing of this nature and wedge inbetween the bottom of the t handle and the lil chrome piece and push the chrome piece down, its gonna be hard so dont by shy about it.
2nd - after the chrome piece goes down, on the left and right sides of the shifter will be 2 small torx bit screws that you need to remove.
3rd - once removed the t handle will slide up but now you have to make the choice if you really wanna do it or not, your gonna have to cut the wire to the overdrive/hill assist button, you can rewire it later to a toggle switch.
4th - ok now that everything is off you have a metal pole that holds the plastic rod that presses down to change your gears.
5th - heres what i ended up doing, i went to pepboys bought a knob that fit 5/16 - 9/16 shifters so it came with lil adaptor pieces (which ended up being perfect) your gonna need you knob to have at least a 1/2'' hole at the bottom so i screwed in the adaptor and drilled out the bottom so it could slide through past the metal pole. then i used double bubble (epoxy) to insert the 3/8 fitting in the knob (3/8'' is the size of the plastic rod) then glued the fitting the the rod so it wont pop off and bazam all done
its pretty simple just gotta use some creativity
thanks for readin pictures will be below
:good: or :bad: be honest

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics

Attachments

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
OneBad3.7 said:
Awesome, man! I'm gonna take mine off tomorrow and see if I can do this, I love it good work!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guys itll look better with the boot =)

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Does the wire really have to be cut or can I do without? I want to keep it close enough so if I ever wanted to go back for whatever reason I can. Did you break your chrome piece?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Schram1 said:
I like your interior where did you get it or is it a sticker
I painted it

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Whitelightning said:
Does the wire really have to be cut or can I do without? I want to keep it close enough so if I ever wanted to go back for whatever reason I can. Did you break your chrome piece?
Has to be cut or else the t handle will just be layin there

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
OneBad3.7 said:
I painted it

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Has to be cut or else the t handle will just be layin there
Can I rewire it back? Or is it too thin?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whitelightning said:
Can I rewire it back? Or is it too thin?
You can redo it

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
130 Posts
Whitelightning, the wires are 16 guage, they are plenty good to resplice however you need. Plus, you will not have to cradle the.... well, you will get to try it out Livestrong style.

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
I can do this in my 93 just not sure what size the shaft is or the release rod

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
The less broken parts the better. I personally like it. The madre and girlfriend maybe not. They let alone may not figure out how to use the shifter.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
WtFDiesel said:
This was so hard to resist.:banana:
Do it! It works in mine I just need to do some fine tuning

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
99ford said:
I think he's thinking about something else, or my mind is really in the gutter.
Hmm, now you have me wondering what he's thinking about lol

1 - 20 of 83 Posts