Mustang Evolution Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Wellllllllllll no more 3rd...... I think I did to many test drives so looks like I need some new clutches. Do I need new steels too?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I run the b&m trick shift stuff (type f equivalent) and it does provide firmer shifts. As far as steels I don't know for sure but for the extra $50 it's worth it for the extra insurance

Smoke tires not drugs

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

I would add in a trans temp gauge too just to keep an eye on things too

Smoke tires not drugs

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had to order mine off of summit, the cool thing is that you can mix it with normal type f if you run out. It is a little pricey but definitely worth it

Smoke tires not drugs

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Well ordered some more parts, a 6 clutch drum, overhaul kit and the thrust washers. Decided not to get the fluid sense It's only a 6 and it's about a 4th of the cost. Hopefully this solves it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well I had a little set back apparently my little 6 makes so much power the fly wheel has a crack going around 3/4 it. Should be rebuilding and installing it today. Hope all else goes to plan.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I had a cracked flexplate on a Chevy truck once. You could clearly hear a noise but no one quite knew what it was. Finally, I had the transmission removed, and the crack was revealed

If you can't fix the transmission this time Travis, that's it. You've struck out. You will be banished to using a 3 speed manual transmission in that Mustang for the rest of your life!
:lol:.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
As much as I hated to do this I'm caving and having a shop build it and install it. I don't have the time to mess with it and I need to be able to drive my car to and from school.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yeah it's just this is the first job that's been farmed out. So a little nervous with it ha and it's weird for it not to be in the drive way when I came home

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Kind of went AWOL.
You undoubtedly picked the single most difficult rebuilding job on a car, the automatic transmission. I've been working on cars for 54 years and automatic transmissions and rearends are the two things I have mostly farmed out, the rest is a walk in the park...IMHO

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Yeah I agree. It was a good learning experience though. It was just deceiving, it was to easy to take apart and put back together just all the small adjustments are the killer. Now the problem is finding a good shop. The one it's at now hasn't called me in 2 days when they need my okay todo any work to it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
the problem is finding a good shop.

Story of my life! I finally found someone I trusted in CO to work on my DD right before I moved overseas. Ask around and go to bbb.org. A negative rep spreads like wildfire, so if you're having trouble finding complaints about a place that's a very good sign.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Story of my life! I finally found someone I trusted in CO to work on my DD right before I moved overseas. Ask around and go to bbb.org. A negative rep spreads like wildfire, so if you're having trouble finding complaints about a place that's a very good sign.

Yeah it's quite the pain. I've gotten parts from this guy before and he seemed very knowledgeable, and is just isn't good at communicating. Like waits till the end of the day to okay works so he can't start till tomorrow. It's like he knows that I'm kinda stuck there sense the car was towed there so he can keep it on the back burner and get quicker customers through the door.

·
Registered
679 Posts
That's a common thing with shops. The quick fixes turn a bigger profit so they get higher priority...it's kinda just how it seems to work in most of the industry. As long as you trust them to not screw you over, that's a big part of the battle. Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Another place I've used to check reviews of shops is Angie's List. Since you need to be a paid subscriber to post a review, it screens out a lot of drive-by crap reviews.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts