Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It slips in D and doesn't want to shift to 2 until it really warms up, then it doesn't want to go into 3, but eventually does. Reverse barely works.
So I changed the filter and fluid. Fluid mostly red/orange and some gray sludge in pan (not too bad - no shavings). I got 6 1/2 quarts out and put in about the same.
Now reverse barely engages cold and warms up to not work at all. D is about the same as before the fluid change.
There is a gurgling sound when in P and revving the engine, which sounds like it's coming from the bell housing area when inside the car. Which would indicate that it's low on fluid, but it's fine on the dipstick when warmed up.
The C4 was rebuilt as stock 3 years ago at a local trans shop.
289 probably low 300's HP / 9 inch posi 3.50. The rear end was a swap from the stock 8 about 4 months ago.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If I have to guess, I'd say that the transmission is not building enough fluid pressure to function properly.
Every time that I have removed the pan on an automatic transmission lately, the bolts have become loose on the valve body. I've even found one or two laying in the bottom of the pan!
Possibly, something similar has happened to your transmission.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll check that. I think I'm going to flush it.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided not to spend any more time or cash on this trans. I ordered a TCI Streetfighter, but it's still a week or two out. So I thought I would try to get the old one driveable until then. Added a half can of Sea Foam and drove about 20 miles. Seemed a little better, but still would not go into 3 and Reverse barely worked. I went to back into the garage since R didn't work and now it moves forward in R N D 2 1. I had to turn off the engine in order to back down the driveway. I guess the whole thing is just fried at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts