Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, ever follow a car after they open it up and you get that smelly rotten egg smell? Well i notice when i sometimes open my 3.7 up i can smell it in the cabin? Ive read other forums with different cars, not fords, and say that it sometimes happens. What causes this? The sound tubes maybe?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know of two things that cause this smell , bad cats , or a dirty cabin air filter , if you don't have any codes I would start by changing the filter

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry, Only at 6000 rpm, when i really push it.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Never smell it under normal use. Ac, heater, etc.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I did a little reading and it seems sometimes gas has to much sulfer in it as an additive, the engine doesn't burn it completely and the cat stores and then releases as hydrogen sulfide when you add enough load to the engine and force more air through the exhaust, a quick thing to try is buying gas from a different station and see if it stops, if not then the cat may be defective and you should take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you notice any sound difference when your up in the 6k's? Could be a bad exhaust manifold gasket. When you get those RPM's up there, theres a lot more pressure pushing out on that manifold and if the gasket is bad or the bolts aren't tight enough there could be a leak. Obviously if it's either of those, a new gasket is needed as gaskets are not reusable.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx ill try different gas, i usually go to shell but ill try something else. I have to gas up tomorrow so ill keep you posted!

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

The sound is good, not any louder than the norm would be, but ill also keep a close eye on it tomorrow! Thx guys and ill keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Rm360 said:
I did a little reading and it seems sometimes gas has to much sulfer in it as an additive, the engine doesn't burn it completely and the cat stores and then releases as hydrogen sulfide when you add enough load to the engine and force more air through the exhaust, a quick thing to try is buying gas from a different station and see if it stops, if not then the cat may be defective and you should take it to the dealer.
^ yeah that makes the most sense to me

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Different gas this morning, ran it hard till 6000 in third and got that smell again. Any ideas? Some people say its normal when you drive it hard.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Are you sure you're smelling carbon? When my '11 GT was new I used to get this smell, it was almost like carbon but had a plastic burning after smell. It only happened when I would go WOT and after about 15K miles the smell has gone away. I've got 32k on it now and still rip the throttle every chance I get and no smell.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Im not sure its a carbon smell, the best way i can describe it is when the car in front of you pushes his car and you can smell his almost like burning hair from a hairdryer smell or rotten egg exhaust smell. Sometimes when i get out of the car in the garage i smell a faint plasticy or rubbery smell. The car has 5300km on it now.just started pushing it in the last 2000k...was getting used to clutch, and allowed a good 2500km for the break in. Engine sounds good pulling at high rpm, i just get that smell that normally the guy behide me should get. Lol

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
It's fine man. Just check your fluids and periodically check under to hood for anything that might be out of place.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
primer2tone said:
It's fine man. Just check your fluids and periodically check under to hood for anything that might be out of place.
O.k thanks, I'll be sure to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
MrMike said:
Sorry, Only at 6000 rpm, when i really push it.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Never smell it under normal use. Ac, heater, etc.
Trust me did the same thing with my car I think it might be the exhaust breaking in mine went away

1 - 20 of 24 Posts