Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to mount my intake under my cowl right before the windshield (3 inch American muscle cowl) would i be suffocating the car? it would be a shorter distance from throttle body. But higher than throttle body. I don't believe I would suck in to much hot air but heat does rise any takes on this just trying to see if its better then in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Dtibbz22 said:
If I were to mount my intake under my cowl right before the windshield (3 inch American muscle cowl) would i be suffocating the car? it would be a shorter distance from throttle body. But higher than throttle body. I don't believe I would suck in to much hot air but heat does rise any takes on this just trying to see if its better then in the wheel well.
It would be better in the well. The heats gotta go somewhere and you don't want to suck in that hot air coming out of the cowl. The air in the fender well is much cooler and denser.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I agree that you're better off routing the CAI into the fender. You'll have access to cooler air and make more power even thought the piping is longer. Then again, you could always just try your idea just for fun.

There are people who do something similar with carb. or 4 barrel throttle body intakes and have a block off shield that fits snug against the hood when it's closed. This way only cooler air comes in from the cowl and most of the heat from the engine can't seep through.

Maybe this will give you some new ideas for a future intake!

Shane

·
Registered
254 Posts
Plus if your filter is above the throttle body you wouldn't be able to properly oil it, or the oil would run into your intake and that's bad

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured as much with the heat did not think of the oil. Now for cai setup with a breather valve could this possibly be a breather idea? I'm not thinking cone shaped filter I'm thinking straight. Just want something different and have plenty of room on the side of the block.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I figured as much with the heat did not think of the oil. Now for cai setup with a breather valve could this possibly be a breather idea? I'm not thinking cone shaped filter I'm thinking straight. Just want something different and have plenty of room on the side of the block.
A cowl hood is designed (or it is supposed to be designed) to take advantage of the low pressure area at the bottom of the vehicle's windshield and use that to suck the hot air out of the engine compartment. Assuming your hood is properly designed, you would be placing the air intake right in that hot air path. You would be MUCH better off placing it in the front fender well, where it can receive lots of cold air.

As to your second post, I don't have any idea what you are talking about. What is a CAI with a breather valve? :confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trojan Horse said:
A cowl hood is designed (or it is supposed to be designed) to take advantage of the low pressure area at the bottom of the vehicle's windshield and use that to suck the hot air out of the engine compartment. Assuming your hood is properly designed, you would be placing the air intake right in that hot air path. You would be MUCH better off placing it in the front fender well, where it can receive lots of cold air.

As to your second post, I don't have any idea what you are talking about. What is a CAI with a breather valve? :confused:
Basically I would run a tube on too of the piping before the throttle body to allow any excess hot air come right out of the cowl.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think Baffle, throttle in valve sucked closed, off throttle valve releases warmer air escapes.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I heard this idea a while back, Id like to do it, just cause it seems cool and high functional, , ad a intercooler and run everything to your TB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
image-3380912919.jpg

Basically this with a baffle on top attached to throttle cable with a limiter to open it so you don't lose air when on throttle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts