Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CAI is on it's way and I want to clean what I can during the install, but, I've read conflicting advice on cleaning the MAS and the throttle body.
Some say clean the MAS but don't touch the sensor inside ???
Some say clean the throttle body but don't touch the butterfly with carb cleaner???
What's the right way?
Andy
2000 V6 Vert with true duals

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
"clean the MAS but don't touch the sensor inside"
This is True!!!!!

AS for the throttle body, I cleaned mine out with thinner and a rag, but I didn t touch the butterfly... because it wasn't dirty. So wait on other peoples' advice when it comes to the TB. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
tb cleanin:

carb cleaner toothbrush.
scrub tb. open tb, scrub inside.

Keep spraying tooth brush with carb cleaner throuout.
just be very gentle if you touch the butterfly. Dont spray the carb cleaner inside the tb. Just spray it on a small brush, or rag and be gentle.

you'll be all set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed the CAI last night....pretty straight forward except for three problems:
1.The stock screen was too small to go on with the CAI gasket and too big to go inside it. Discarded it and will install a larger piece, cut to fit, later.
2. The stock vacuum hose from the valve cover had a plastic adapter on the end that would not fit the CAI tube fitting. even without the fitting, the hose was too small for the tube fitting. Found a scrap piece of hose, a size bigger and attached with clamps.
3.The stock grommet for the air temp sensor was at most one inch thick which allowed for the sensor to protrude into the stock tubing. The CAI grommet was over an inch and a half so the the sensor tip would still be in the grommet. Razor knifed about a half an inch off of the CAI grommet so the the sensor would go deeper.
Hope this makes sense to anyone wanting to install a CAI.
this is on a 2000 V6 Vert.
So far the results are good. No whistling, louder exhaust and quicker throttle responce.
Andy
Special thanks to Charles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far so good....couldn't really get into it this morning going to work...will "test" tonite ;)
The only thing that bothered me was cutting that grommet. Wasn't sure if they intentionally made it that thick to keep the sensor "high" or I did the right thing...
Thanks everybody
Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts