Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will ask this group since the so called "Professionals" don't know.

I am interested in purchasing a Cold Air Intake for a 2004 Mustang with 3.9L v6. I notice that you have one for a Mustang 3.8L V6. Will this one work with my 3.9? If not do you sell one for the 3.9 yet?

In case your interested in mustangtuning.com's answer:

Nathan,

Ford never made a 3.9L V6 mustang in 2004. The 3.8L V6 kit will fit on your car fine.

This is directly off of my Window Sticker:
Vehicle Engine Information
2004 MUSTANG, 3.9 LITER ENGINE, 6 CYLINDERS (FEEDBACK FUEL SYSTEM), FUEL INJECTION, CATALYST, 4-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 16 and 22 mpg in the city and between 22 and 30 mpg on the highway.

·
11,873 Posts
Yep it will work fine with your 2004. Just make sure you get the 99+ cold air intake and not the 94-98 one and you should be fine. I dont think they changed anything other than the rods/crank on your engine compared to a 2003

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Actually I think the only differance is the bore.... i'll have to find my ford racing catalog, its in there. But as Brent said you shouldn't have a problem as long as you get one thats 99+.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yep, I was wrong the bore on both engines is 3.81, stroke on the 97-2003 is 3.39, the '04 is 3.464, and it(ford racing catalog) also says that the Compression distance, piston pin to top of piston, is '97-'03 1.450, and the 2004 is 1.410, every thing else lists the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!! I was just blown away that a store that only sells Mustang Parts had never heard of the 2004 having a 3.9L.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Huh, I heard about it long ago, but I make it a point
to find out these things. It is because of the minivans
that the change was made, at least those poop-boxes
are good for something now and again! :D :D :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes any 99+ CAI will fit. but as stated before make sure you get one for 99+ and not for 94-98. the angle at which the intake tube enters the throttle body is slightly different between the 94-98's and the 99+'s.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Concordium said:
yes any 99+ CAI will fit. but as stated before make sure you get one for 99+ and not for 94-98. the angle at which the intake tube enters the throttle body is slightly different between the 94-98's and the 99+'s.
Your phrase "slightly" is a little bit off... They're about 45 degrees of an angle difference, and as about an 1" length difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts