Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I understand, a ram air system uses a scoop and kinda forces air into the engine. Can someone explain it a bit more for me. And also, which is better, a standard fender-well CAI, or a ram air system?

·
You want to **** me?
3,812 Posts
fender wall in my opionion is better than ram air. Unless you have a shaker hood with scoop or something of that sort. Ram air is meant to give power more once youre actually moving. A fenderwall kit will give you power all the way through

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
what you could do is a little of both. Get a fender well CAI. then just get a heater pipe from home depot big enough to go over the air filter and clamp down where it is, and set something up that way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like a side or under scoop? I'm thinking of just going fenderwell. Try and find a cheap E-Bay CAI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i sent $12 making a ram air system. It's made out of chimney piping. it's just a 6' piece that is straight and you can turn the pipe and it will go into almost a 90 degree angle. It took me about an hour and all it cost me was 12. It was cheap and i could tell a difference for sure. I saw a website where a guy did it to his cobra and i kinda took his ideas and did it with my 6. There is no way you can see it unless you look through my mess where the foglights go. If you can interested i will send you the site.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
like Zim said I read somewhere that you had to be going about 70-80MPH to get the advantages of ram air. so normal street driving will show little or know gain

But I think it looks kind of cool and it does not hurt either. So if you want to do it go for it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I'd like to know. I think I will do a fender well cai, but build a scoop for it. But your thing sounds cool too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a March Ram snorkel...... I can't use it with the Shogun front end..... Give me $20 and $5 postage and it's yours!

·
Registered
109 Posts
with my full length densecharger, i turned it so the filter pretty much is slammed with air when you drive down the road. You need to remeber tho that ram air itself only works well about 55mph...CAI works all the time. I would recomend the DeMolet Densecharger for your CAI.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Smokedya95stang said:
what you could do is a little of both. Get a fender well CAI. then just get a heater pipe from home depot big enough to go over the air filter and clamp down where it is, and set something up that way.
that was going to be my suggestion too. i did that for a while, but decided the ghettoness of having one fog light should end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/ram-cold-air.html

Heres the link for the homemade ram air

·
You want to **** me?
3,812 Posts
geanders said:
ram air is good until you run through a large water puddle.
it would be fine, your cars not going to suck the water in like a straw. It has to go up a pretty good incline to get into your engine... plus thats what your filter is there for ;)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The first link that was mentioned was kinda like a system i had thought about doing.
But i was going to cut half of the pipe so its a "ram air" but it also works at low rpm's. So it grabs air at fast speeds with the duct, but the fitler is still exposed so it grabs air constantly.

Just my idea, any thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
ZimStang, hate to see your avatar changed :no: ...I'd grown so attached, like she was talking to ME! Only me! <sob> :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charles. I like that Idea. But I think just half a pipe will just create resistence. Look at the intake for the new Mach 1 if you can find plans. It has a fenderwell cai like the gt, but it also has the scoop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone with the Mach 1 intake plans that DROPTOP_STANG speaks of, please provide a link for my viewing and fabrication pleasure. Thanks!:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts