Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 5.0 looking to get a CAI possibly with a tuner as well, there's just so many out there I want to know what y'all would suggest would be worth taking a look at or what is legitimate

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 2012 5.0 looking to get a CAI possibly with a tuner as well, there's just so many out there I want to know what y'all would suggest would be worth taking a look at or what is legitimate
Honestly it's just which look you like the most. There's no considerable performance gain just improved looks under the hood. Now a tuner is a different story, I recommend the diablo intune especially sense diablo confirmed that through their tests it doesn't void warranty

·
Registered
721 Posts
This is my C&L CAI.... As stated above an intake will give you better looks and sound but little to no performance increase.... Only is affective with a tune, and again the tune is whats really givig you the hp increase

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

JLT. It's beastly!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honestly it's just which look you like the most. There's no considerable performance gain just improved looks under the hood. Now a tuner is a different story, I recommend the diablo intune especially sense diablo confirmed that through their tests it doesn't void warranty
i didnt know that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I went with the wms ram air intake and I love it...I got the 90mm one so I still need to by the ram air box but that's ganna happen next pay check

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have to have the CAI to get the tune or can you get HP & Performance gains without a CAI and just a tune?

·
Registered
325 Posts
My BBK Cold Air Intake. I love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep have the same one. I love the chrome and the performance.
Yeah, I was seriously surprised by the performance increase. It's not ridiculous but it does feel like the car get's a kick in the pants at around 6500 rpm. The only reason I wound up with the BBK is because I got such a good deal on it lol.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah, I was seriously surprised by the performance increase. It's not ridiculous but it does feel like the car get's a kick in the pants at around 6500 rpm. The only reason I wound up with the BBK is because I got such a good deal on it lol.
Same here, it was a gift so technically it was free.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do you have to have the CAI to get the tune or can you get HP & Performance gains without a CAI and just a tune?
The factory CAI, is plenty, you can save some money by just getting the tune, your biggest gains will come from the tune, the aftermarket CAI, are more of a cosmetic, and many who 'believe' they feel something are more than likely feeling the sound more than the actual gains. Realistically, any gain you might get from the aftermarket CAI, cannot be "felt", or even seen. I went from 13.38 @ 107 in factory form, to 12.43 with 93 octane tune, and all else still factory. I personally like the clean appearance of the factory box, over a plastic tube, with a cheap looking insulator, and open air cleaner. The aftermarket has done an excellent job of promoting their pieces, and hyping up their products, with many people believing what they have to say. If you want the cosmetic look, as many do, shop for what you feel looks best for you, but dont let the hype about power gains influence your decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CAI's that require tunes are the only ones to give you more power. Usually about 10WHP more than just the tune alone from what I've seen

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I did air raid intake and bama tune definatlet a noticeable difference. Plus the sound of the intake is pretty sweet. And pretty much all the cai's are good for about 10hp with a tune

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Redstang1 said:
I herd about it, so I called them and who ever I spoke to said they test on all ford are and the dealers couldn't detect a tune if you return to stock.
I bet the guy said trust me too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I herd about it, so I called them and who ever I spoke to said they test on all ford are and the dealers couldn't detect a tune if you return to stock.
It will still be a problem if you have a serious engine failure and can't reload the stock tune for some reason. Or for those of us that have mods requiring a tune, we can't drive on the stock tune to the dealer. (Boss IM or CAI that requires a tune)

My JLT CAI.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts