Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the money is better spent on CAI first, or UDP?

I have dual exhaust, chip, and K&N filter now.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
If you buy a Ebay CAI, they are like 40-70 bucks shipped. So the CAI is cheaper.

But i loved my UD after installation. But I see you have a 2002, UD Pulleys are alot more expensive for your years because the Harmonic Balancer and Pulley is one unit.

So tis 150-200 shipped for a pulley.

Pulley and CAI, are roughly the same HP and TQ gains.
Dont expect any big gains with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
the underdrive pulley will run you 200-210$ w/ a new belt, so it is more expensive. i don't have CAI because i'm going to get a supercharger. however, it is cheaper for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
ehh CAI wont see too much of a gain really. Its more of what I call a multiplier mod. The more you add the more it helps (exhaust, p&p, cam, etc. )

UDP will net you a solid gain 8rwhp/8rwtq as it is only there to reduce parasetic loss.

best bet... do both :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
stangin99 said:
UDP will net you a solid gain 8rwhp/8rwtq as it is only there to reduce parasetic loss.
if anything, the underdrive crank pulley will be a 'multiplier mod' because it takes whatever the engine makes and takes away a percentage of belt drag loss. :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
stangin99 said:
UDP will net you a solid gain 8rwhp/8rwtq as it is only there to reduce parasetic loss.
if anything, the underdrive crank pulley will be a 'multiplier mod' because it takes whatever the engine makes and takes away a percentage of belt drag loss. :?:

no, parasetic loses are static. Your accessories spin with your crank. so whatever RPM your crankshaft is rotating at, is the same whether you make 1000hp or 100hp ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
The Underdrive pully will be you biggest gain by removing some of the parasitic drag of the waterpump and A/C by slowing it down they will have a bigger impact than the CAI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
i just went on ebay - where are these 40-70 dollar CAI's at???

i saw one brand but it said 96-03 and i heard that 99+ wont work directly with a 94-98 :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Either way, the gains arent going to be that dramatic.

The UDP is more expensive, the CAI is less expensive. The UDP is a little bit harder to install IMO.

It's your choice. The gains are about the same. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
stangin99 said:
V6PowerStang said:
stangin99 said:
UDP will net you a solid gain 8rwhp/8rwtq as it is only there to reduce parasetic loss.
if anything, the underdrive crank pulley will be a 'multiplier mod' because it takes whatever the engine makes and takes away a percentage of belt drag loss. :?:

no, parasetic loses are static. Your accessories spin with your crank. so whatever RPM your crankshaft is rotating at, is the same whether you make 1000hp or 100hp ;)
i have been under the wrong impression then for a year or more. can someone back this up just to make certain.

thanks stangin99 for the skooling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
actually there is a reduction in parasitic loss with the waterpump that spins in water cause greater resistance with the increase in speed,by reducing that drag by 25 % in rotation speed you reduce resistance in the waterpump. Why do you think drag racers use electric water pumps. Plain and simple
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Accessories are all spun by the crank pulley (crankshaft).

So whatever RPM the crank spins at, determines the RPM the accessories spin at. This is why, with a smaller crank pulley, the accessories with their HUGE pulleys, spin slower, ~25% slower.

As your rpm/speed increases, your accessories DO work harder though (waterpump/alternator) so there IS more of a drag on the parts. But remember, your only changing one pulley. So unless your trapping at like 120+ now because of you pulley, the few MPH's you gain in the 1/4 wont add enough strain on the accoessories to notice.

Whether your going 100mph or 10mph, if your cruising at 2000RPM's your accessories are doing the same thing. (basically)

EDIT: I know you talked about elctric waterpumps, but we arent drag cars. These are daily drivers ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
I mentioned electric waterpumps as a example of the drag a waterpump has on a engine and how drag racers see it as enough of a parasitic loss to put on a electric pump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Danger Dude said:
I mentioned electric waterpumps as a example of the drag a waterpump has on a engine and how drag racers see it as enough of a parasitic loss to put on a electric pump
ah ok ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
eh..

a friend of mine wants to get a new belt for his 01 GT. He only wants to run it from crank, tensioner, waterpump, alternator.

He doesnt care about power steering for the track (who would) and he really wants to take out his A/C but hes a lazy bastard like me :D

You could always just drive around with no belt....just make like 1-2 minutes trips at most :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,052 Posts
you get about double the performance gains with a pulley....well not double but near it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
[No message]
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top