Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what the emission law is in california? I have a friend lookin at possibly getting a stang out there but wants the setup that i have on both mine with no cats but we dont have those laws in mississippi!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i figured they were probably kind of strict out there but wanted to make sure of it! So glad we dont have that issue here! Preciate it man!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup in Cali you have to pass smog and get your car smog'ed once a year. So cats are a must and cops are real strict about how loud your car is atleast in the bay area thank god I moved back home to Louisiana :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I live in sd and I'm pretty sure that you can't do anything before the cats. That's just what I have heard though. Sock cats you will definetly need and it can't be over 95 decibles

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 96 and an 02 and neither have cats! I had em cut off the day after i bought both of them! I dont think i could own one without having them cut off! Hopefully they never get that strict here!

·
Banned
330 Posts
yeah here in cali depends which city you get cagth whit illegal exhaust some is just a fixing ticket but others is big fine whit towing of your car. when I had mine x-pipe on last month I was in the freeway entrance waiting for the green arrow when a CHP pulls to the left late of me lowers his window lisens for a bit but since I have magnaflows not much noise at idle sow he said do you have cats on and he said it like in a friendly way like if he was a mustang guy too or giving me a break then I kiss ass and said yes sr still stock then he said you should be carefull you might get pull over and loose your car, sow maybe it all depends in the cop and city were you get pull over, also here in cali sometimes in the summer they have check points were they have a portable smogcheck whit computer and bottom rollers were the tires roll and just pull to the side any car the chp whants, good thing that day I was still on my explorer whit emmission clean

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

other thing you can do to visually hide your xpipe is getting some old cats or yours from your stock pipe and cleanning them from the inside whit a screwdriver and a hammer then welding them to your pipe that making it look like your cats are on and maybe switching to magnaflows no chamber mufflers to get less noise on idle only at full pedal you would hear the resonance, nice one too, or get some high flows whit pipes like bbk or others and emting the last two or all of them, that's how I did it ones

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately i gutted the front 2 cats on both my cars and left the shells just incase something should ever come up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts