Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking instead of getting a whole new exhaust system, i would just get a modified cam and cut offs (The ones that can open and close from inside the car). What do you guys n' gals think. Oh, and does anyone have a sound clip of open Headers and a non stock Cam? Would a modified Cam + Open headers sound any different than just open headers?

·
Registered
261 Posts
this was in a different car, but when my friend had a jacked up mid-pipe, we disconntected his exhaust from the headers back and started the car just for kicks...it was loud as hell and sounded like a v20 beast with 1000hp, although it was only an inline 6, haha.

And I'm not sure the cams would change the sound too durastically, we actually changed his cams while we were doing it and it didn't seem to make too much difference.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Actually a cam can make a big difference in sound on a V6 the more aggressive the cam the more lope and deep the exhaust will get. As for open headers on a V6 Unless you are going to use that setup on a track using on the street will not only be very loud but the interior noise in the car will be insane. Excessively loud is not cool it is annoying as hell. Dont waste your time with a cam if you dont also get P&P heads and intakes.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
it will sound ricey/raspy as hell up top too

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'ma gonna keep doing cam specs for everyone that wants them,
then they can buy from RPM or my alternate grinder or Comp, etc.
but you would need to do a cam form to get the best available
cam opinion from me. It would be like an open header-spec cam
for racing, which is easy enough to figure. You also need to figure
out how much you are willing to spend on springs, retainers, pushrods too...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Dont waste your time with a cam if you dont also get P&P heads and intakes.
...unless you have a 99^, the stock heads flow quite adequately
for a streetable 3.8 to 4.2 engine. We'll discuss future upgrades
if you do a cam form. P&P intakes would be a good idea even on a
99^ but that would just basically enhance the cam you would be
changing to. You really get a total combo advisement for the price
of a cam spec :D :good: :good: :good:

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Dude where the helll have you been. You move to South Carolina and then move away in the span of a couple of months. I am glad to see you alive. If you have my phone number call me. The number can also be found in the moderators area.

;)

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
if you are gonna tear the car down for a cam alone... you really need to do the heads and intakes since its the same amount of work for an install (well nearly)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Dude where the helll have you been. You move to South Carolina and then move away in the span of a couple of months. I am glad to see you alive. If you have my phone number call me. The number can also be found in the moderators area.

;)
I'm not a mod anymore, but email me at [email protected]
OK Danger Dog??? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts