Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it goin guys its been awhile. Ive been in Hawaii on vaction!..So ive been looking all over online for Cams to throw on my 99 sixer and cant find any..Any suggestions?..I plan on boosting my baby after internals..

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm pretty sure you'll need new valve springs and a tune if you put an aggressive cam in, so thats something to think about for cost. And possibly longer pushrods.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
average shop charges just about as much to install it as you paid for the cam itself...and yeah pm ESG :headbang:
The price of the cam should be maybe $150... it would take you about 4-5 hours to replace the cam and that's if everything went well and you knew what you were doing. At $60-70/hour you're talking about $240-350 and then you'll need new gaskets, so I would expect to pay about $300-400. Don't forget you'll need new pushrods as well and also depending on how aggressive your cam is you might need new valve springs too.

·
Banned
177 Posts
ESG camz:

Cammed V6 Mustang Prochamber O/R F40's - YouTube

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

feel free to raid my youtube vids and nut yourself :D

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

90% of cam job:

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Dont do **** right you get:

And then you brake the bank and end up with:

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

A budget cam swap alone can cost as little as 700$ - 1000$ depending on how you go about it.

But you still wont be happy w/o an high flow cat or O/R exhaust:

btw these are NOT the same cams:
Cammed V6 Mustang X pipe 2004 .2 - YouTube
vs

So you'll then start spending more on your exhaust.

Oh wait now your gonna need to get it tuned for it to run right.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

go ahead, ask me about a cam swap :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Would a v6 sound stupid with a real aggressive cam? My friend has a 455 trans am with one and it idles prety rough, wouldn't that rough idle without the deep tone of the 455 sound weird?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
No it would not sound silly. It would be lopey at idle, sound a bit the same 3K rpms and up. But the reason for it is to gain major torque which is what a V6 needs to keep up in stop and go traffic and the rest of the cars out there with acceleration ect..

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
That all depends on the cam and other mods. But just a stock mustang and a cam, I would venture to say bout 10-20.

·
Banned
177 Posts
No it would not sound silly. It would be lopey at idle, sound a bit the same 3K rpms and up. But the reason for it is to gain major torque which is what a V6 needs to keep up in stop and go traffic and the rest of the cars out there with acceleration ect..
Dont speak again about cams please.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Would a v6 sound stupid with a real aggressive cam? My friend has a 455 trans am with one and it idles prety rough, wouldn't that rough idle without the deep tone of the 455 sound weird?
Dude I just linked two different vids of my car at the bottom ... listen to them if you'd like to know what it sounds like ...

So how much torque you think a cam could get out of a basicly stock v6?
Lopey cams like that generally are high HP cams, not much of a tq cam.
Most cam set ups will screw with your lower. Stock peak tq is like 2800 rpm. Most cammers are at like 3500 rpm. So your low end really goes away and becomes your "mid" which still itsn't much. Thats why you stall and gear lower to make up.

That all depends on the cam and other mods. But just a stock mustang and a cam, I would venture to say bout 10-20.

Your right on the first part, it'll depend on the cam. Hell you want a low end based cam Ive got one sitting in my room that'll go cheap as hell if you want :D Dont look for sound in it though, or much change in power.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Idle it will sound good, give it gas and its obviously a V6....

And their is no "major tq gain'' involved in anything you do N/A to a V6 ...
And the stock mustang, even a single port has more then enough tq to keep you going. You want something to help you in stop and go traffic, get some 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A budget cam swap alone can cost as little as 700$ - 1000$ depending on how you go about it.

vs

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

go ahead, ask me about a cam swap

Yeah! I found the video of your car months ago and just love the car to death. It's great inspiration, the car turned out so fu**ing nice!
We share the same tastes/ideas with the Mustang. Are you still running a ProChamber?

·
Banned
177 Posts

vs

go ahead, ask me about a cam swap

Yeah! I found the video of your car months ago and just love the car to death. It's great inspiration, the car turned out so fu**ing nice!
We share the same tastes/ideas with the Mustang. Are you still running a ProChamber?
Stop raping my vids bro 0_o

Yes im still running it.

Love my car, but I shoulda just went turbo ...

But since I didn't here I am about to put in a stall and work on nitrous :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts