Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Any pitfalls or mistakes that might happen when installing cams on a 3 valve?
If its no springs required, then the biggest issue is getting the cam sprocket lined up to the original correct timing on the chains and not losing the timing chains position on the crank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I planned on ford racing hot rod cams. My question or concern is the cam followers do you really have remove them or can I leave them in place? I have read articles and seen videos both ways. Any real experience and input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I planned on ford racing hot rod cams. My question or concern is the cam followers do you really have remove them or can I leave them in place? I have read articles and seen videos both ways. Any real experience and input would be appreciated.
Go with brenspeed Detroit rockers, better cam

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have not replaced my cams yet, I plan on Detroit Rockers. I had to replace my cam sprocket, the vct plate sheared at the rivets from the sprocket. I wedged the chain with the tool and replaced the sprocket. After removing the old sprocket, the cam rotated a little due to the valves. In order to re-align it with my marks I had to rotate it until it was correct and matched back up with the sprocket. That was the only issue I had. Everything else went back together fine and no problems since.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I never understood how anyone would pay 700 bucks plus install which is anywhere from 4-700 bucks for cams and power gains be a SECONDARY factor lol.

As for your question, sound is all going to be opinion as they both sound great to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I never understood how anyone would pay 700 bucks plus install which is anywhere from 4-700 bucks for cams and power gains be a SECONDARY factor lol.

As for your question, sound is all going to be opinion as they both sound great to me.
Honestly, I picked them and my exhaust setup for the sound. I mean why not? You're gonna hear it all the time why not love it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Oh sorry you don't want to live on this planet anymore because people don't all see it your way.
The brenspeed cam sounds great just like any other cam for the mod motor, I just don't understand why anyone would choice a lesser cam knowing that

·
Registered
64 Posts
The brenspeed cam sounds great just like any other cam for the mod motor, I just don't understand why anyone would choice a lesser cam knowing that
I think there's still valid reason to go with other cams (like FRPP). Not everyone wants to go with a brenspeed tune and since their cams don't list the specs, it would be more difficult for another company to tune the brenspeed cams properly. And we all know without a good tune, the cams are pretty much pointless.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think there's still valid reason to go with other cams (like FRPP). Not everyone wants to go with a brenspeed tune and since their cams don't list the specs, it would be more difficult for another company to tune the brenspeed cams properly. And we all know without a good tune, the cams are pretty much pointless.
This is not true. Everyone tunes, email and otherwise just fine.

What "specs" do you seek? The cams arrive with a spec sheet included in the box. Tuning is ABSOLUTELY not an issue. Also, untuned cams, will drive rough but still provide gains. Fact.

You don't need a brenspeed tune for the cams. I have never had one.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
More than my preference for the sound I've heard too many people having issues getting them tuned properly at a private shop.
The FRPP cams are notorious for being difficult to get power from and more people seem to have tuning issues with them, if anything more so than the brenspeed. BaSol is correct. Your money, your choice of course, BUT the FRPP cams ARE the lesser cam.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts