Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other vehicle has a nail in the rear passenger tire. The tread is worn down below the recommendation for repair according to Discount. Conclusion: buy two new tires.

Now this has me thinking; what about drag radials? Specifically the MT ET Street R?

Looking at their specs, tread depth is 6/32 so technically that is 4/32 more than "completely worn out" by Discount.

Anyone ever have a DR patched and have blowback by Discount or any other tire chain?

·
Registered
324 Posts
According to the Tire Industry Association as long as the tread depth is greater than the wear bars it can be repaired. I would take your tire to a local service station.

I had a tire with a nail in it that was a good 1.5" in toward the center of the tire away from the shoulder and was told by a tire chain it could not be repaired. I was also told that a tire could not be patched if a plug had been installed or the goop that comes with the pump instead of a spare these days.

Tire chains are motivated to sell you new tires so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Now if you have drag radials you are presumably racing. You are putting a lot of stress on the tires and i would want a patch failing and the tire start going down at the top of the strip. But they are DOT tires and the same recommendation by TIA would apply if you are using them as a street only tire.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts