Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few questions hopefully you guys can help
I want to build a 351 windsor stroker for a fox body mustang (408,418or 427). I found a 351 Windsor and fmx transmission from a 1973 mustang supposedly in working condition for 600$. Is that a good price. Are these engines and trannys very rare. How can I tell if it's really a 351w and fmx from a 73 mustang. Are there numbers or markings on them I should look for. I don't want to get scammed as I don't know too much about this. Also will that tranny fit into a fox body mustang. I know the fmx is heavy but how many lbs.what's the actual weight. What's the weight difference fmx, c4, and c6. I hope you can answer all my questions.
Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
trust me you DO NOT want a stock motor from the 70's starting around 71 they started de-rating all the engines due to emission controls. I know for a fact the base 351 for 72-73 only put out 177HP, while the the HO versions put out 260-270HP tops

Pretty weak for such a big motor

·
Registered
9 Posts
its just a low compression two barrel motor that ford put in many vehicles. the fmx tranny is considered one of the worst ford ever made. if you are going to build a stroker all you need is the block anyway and most of the 351's are pretty much the same. the c6 tranny is the best but only a 3 speed. its big and might cause fitment problems on a fox body. i would go to a mustang forum and ask my question as "they" have done this mod many times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts