Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1984 ford f150 2wd i was wondering if i could use 1965 rear leaf springs on the front there's 3 inches between the mustang leaf springs and the conversion kit for my truck is that a big deal??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Car springs are not made to carry the load required from a truck. You can buy helper leafs for your truck. Each one will add 1000 lbs to your carrying capacity.
Coincidently, I've owned both a '65 mustang (coupe w/289,200 hp, 3spd), and an '84 F-150 ( 300 six, 2wd, 4spd). I never messed with the suspension on the 'stang, but I did add 1 leaf to the rear axle of the truck. I paid a spring company, Jenson & Mitchell in Paterson, NJ $200 to make the conversion.
Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
no, the spring is not strong enough, and to do so you would have to move the front eye forward 1.5 inches and the rear eye back 1.5 inches to center the spring

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Mustang leaf springs will not be stiff enough for a truck. I would just go to a junkyard and get some leaf springs off another truck. Leaf springs are cheap. You can probably get a pair for about $30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No.. the weight of the truck will flatten out the springs... springs are designed to work within a particular load rating, so springs from a truck and a car may look the same, but won't preform the same....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts