Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car sounds like wants to turn off while it's on neutral or when I’m on a complete stop … It sounds good while driving it but then again when I’m on a stop light … it’s sound weak like if it’s gonna turn off on me. What possibly can it be? Today is the first time it happened

·
Registered
43 Posts
It could be just a idle adjustment on the carb needs to be sped up or the ignition points are getting worn, retarding the timing which slows down the idle...a new set of points properly gaped would probably fix it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your engine has carburetor, one of the components of a carburetor are idle jets. They are what controls the amount of fuel that the engine gets at idle but if they're partially or fully clogged the results are similar to the symptoms you describe. How long since the carb has been cleaned? Once you accelerate, the main jets are controlling the fuel so there's no issue at speed, only at idle. There could be other reasons also but I'd start with the idle jets if the carb hasn't been cleaned in a long time.

Additionally, check the fuel pump to be sure you're getting fuel pressure, yours is mechanical, mounted on the engine block, not electrical. Check also the fuel filter if equipped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could be some carb adjustment like the idle, idle mixture, choke, etc..

but I would look if the distributor vacuum advance hose got disconnected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts