Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing the rears at some point in the not too distant future. The whole job all at once is quite expensive.

I was looking at the Late model restoration SVE stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Lol
A lot of guys just do the front and never get around to doing the rear because you need to remove the axles to change the brackets.
The front is the most important anyways...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to using Baer Eradispeed+1 on the back. They come with brackets that move the stock calipers up. It should do the trick.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
I saw Pete from FTR again on Saturday at the Shelby Mini Nats at Sonoma. We might be seeing a bracket set up that allows the front cobra brakes to be moved to the rear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely a track setup. I would like to get on to a track a couple of times just to see how it feels. We only have about 5 months with our fun cars in Canada. I have 335s on my rear and they would be worse than useless in the snow. I just love driving my Mustang (Abigail) during the summer and crusin' is just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there is a market for a line of just the brackets. Affordable brackets that let you use stock high end brake hardware. Who wouldn't buy them?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
There are a lot of caliper options, that's for sure!
Someone needs to work out a simple way to add a parking brake provision to one of the off-the-shelf front calipers.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Cobra brakes bolt right on. Caliper brackets and calipers and boom. Rears require the axles removed, new axle brackets and Cobra specific caliper brackets that are wider for the vented rotors.

I would love to see an option to move the 13" Cobra front calipers out back and then put some 14" S197 units up front. An E-brake option would be nice too but that's probably out the window moving the Cobra brakes out back.

What about S197 rear brakes on a SN95?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about like the Eradispeed. Same caliper, bigger disc, no opening the differential. Just bolt it on and you are done, quite cheap. The e-brake might still work normally if there is some slack in the cable .

It would be interesting to know if the S197 can bolt into the SN95.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why wouldn't the S197 bolt on? Don't they still use an 8.8? Different axle housing?

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
If it was that easy everyone would be doing it... if its even worth it. I am going to look into that Eradispeed kit and see what it actually does. If it allows use of the bigger/wider Cobra vented caliper without pulling the axle that is a winner.

IMHO, for a street car SN95 the best bet is probably going to be a "Cobra" rear brake setup and then adapting the front for a 14" S197 setup whether its the 4/6 Piston crazy ones or the basic 2 piston units. I'm thinking for the SN95 hydro boost or a manual brake setup... the 2 piston might be better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It does not let you do that as far as I know. The swept area of the disc seems smaller than the real rear Cobra brakes. It does put the swept area's at the end of a longer lever but I think that's it. It does not seem like an impossible thing to make an adapter that would allow you to run the real thing.

I have a cruiser so huge braking force is not a big deal. I can see myself going with the Cobra rears when the back brakes are due again.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Ah, figured that it would not be as good as the Cobra rear or nobody would bother pulling the axles to do the rear brakes.

Something else to add to the list of things to do to this 2000 lol. Front and rear brake conversion, new rims, new tires, I have pretty much everything else bought for it tho lol. Or at least fronts until I drop the rear axle to weld the boxes and do a 5 link...

IMHO, if you are doing the brakes, jump up to the Cobra setup at least up front. Or get brackets that let you do the 14" rotors if you have big enough wheels to take them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts