Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Can you change the 2 barrel carburetor on a 1970 mustang to a 4 barrel?

1675 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Deegan
i have a 1970 mustang 302 windsor convertible and wanted to change out the 2 barrel carb to a 4 barrel to bump up the power. can, and how, can you do that?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Sure you can, you can even do it with factory parts from any Ford or Mercury 302, but they will be used...You can find them on Ebay and craigslist..Look for a stock 4 barrel manifold and the aftermarket is full of them...
Yes. However, until you change the camshaft, you will not effect the airflow appetite or demand of the engine. I even make cams which will give you both a power and gas mileage improvement over the factory cam. And they idle perfectly.(If that is what you want.) I'll also guarantee them.

Use a Spread Bore 4 barrel rather than a Square Bore.(Spread bore carburetors have smaller front barrels than the back barrels.) But some 4 bbl intake manifolds will not accommodate the pattern of a spread bore. The right spread bore 4 barrel will get better gas mileage than your 2 barrel. A spread bore will also have better manners and better light throttle power than a square bore 4 barrel will. One inch thick '4 hole' carburetor spacers are your friend at low-mid rpm's on the street, too. Just make sure it's a spread or square bore spacer like your new carburetor is.

Email: [email protected]
Go to a place like Summit Racing or Jegs and get something like a Edelbrock intake that will accept a 4 bbl carb and the carb. Just changing the intake and carb is not likely to be a night and day difference. To really feel a difference you are going to have to make other changes like timing, exhaust, cam, ect... but its a start. Dont get too big a carb, more CFM does not mean more power, it has to be sized for the rest of the engine / system.
sure you can do that but first you have to change the intake to a 4 barrel.just make sure the carburetor you pick that the linkage will hook up and the fuel line.
i think you have to change out the whole intake manifold to take a 4 barrel. on some cars you can use an adapter.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.