Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my car to the shop today to have some things looked at, the past 2 months I developed a small click when sharply turning and braking, an exhaust sound that sounds like a leak, a noise when turning my wheel, and a TOB squeak... Dreading the phone call from my mechanic for some estimates, feel like I could be in the thousands for repoars

·
Registered
232 Posts
NJstanger said:
Brought my car to the shop today to have some things looked at, the past 2 months I developed a small click when sharply turning and braking, an exhaust sound that sounds like a leak, a noise when turning my wheel, and a TOB squeak... Dreading the phone call from my mechanic for some estimates, feel like I could be in the thousands for repoars
It doesn't mean you have to do it all in one place. Ouch I hate that! Good luck

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Venomouz831 said:
Dang that sucks. Hopefully when he tells you what's wrong you can fix some of the things
I hope so, he's goes over the car for free for me and writes up a sheet with all the problems and estimated price, so hopefully it's mostly small things that can be taken care of myself or relatively cheap

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
NJstanger said:
I hope so, he's goes over the car for free for me and writes up a sheet with all the problems and estimated price, so hopefully it's mostly small things that can be taken care of myself or relatively cheap
Yea. Keep us posted

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im so glad I work on cars for a living,,not only do i love what i do,,ive never taken anything to the shop,,ive heard nightmares of people getting burnt,,exspecially women

·
Registered
598 Posts
Depends on the shop but lots of people try to burn you. That's why it helps to know a bit about cars and it helps to a part of a forum with tons of mustangs owners that have a good bit of knowledge so that you don't get burned

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys here's my estimate sheet... Can I service the throttle bod and e.f.i fuel injection myself? Power steering flush relatively easy with ramps? The clutch estimate is just for when my TOB does completely go but that's not for a long time he said my TOB has a slight squeak but still got plenty of life. And I'm having trouble understanding the exhaust part if anyone could help me out. Thank you. Btw my mechanic couldn't explain to me in person because I had to pick up my car after he left and am too anxious to wait till tomorrow to call him. Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it means my exhaust has flowmaster mufflers and they have broken baffles? Wouldn't that mean I need new mufflers? If so that not so bad because I wanted to go louder, what would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
232 Posts
NJstanger said:
Hey guys here's my estimate sheet... Can I service the throttle bod and e.f.i fuel injection myself? Power steering flush relatively easy with ramps? The clutch estimate is just for when my TOB does completely go but that's not for a long time he said my TOB has a slight squeak but still got plenty of life. And I'm having trouble understanding the exhaust part if anyone could help me out. Thank you. Btw my mechanic couldn't explain to me in person because I had to pick up my car after he left and am too anxious to wait till tomorrow to call him. Thanks guys
Start first with"when was the last time you did the brakes"first. You can do it your self. Buy the ones from American muscle. Front and rear if it hasn't been done yet. For now that might be 1/2 your issues.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

NJstanger said:
I think it means my exhaust has flowmaster mufflers and they have broken baffles? Wouldn't that mean I need new mufflers? If so that not so bad because I wanted to go louder, what would you guys suggest?
Re weld. Or replace.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Supe01stang said:
Start first with"when was the last time you did the brakes"first. You can do it your self. Buy the ones from American muscle. Front and rear if it hasn't been done yet. For now that might be 1/2 your issues.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Re weld. Or replace.
Mufflers of course

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow there's a lot on that list... It looks like he wants to do a ton, is the car in bad shape? Lots of miles?

I'd find out the source of the click or clicking and probably get on that first if it's serious. Maybe a CV joint?

Seems like he wants to put new mufflers on, $300 for new flowmasters from the write up.

The throttle body service? Is he just going to clean it out? I usually clean mine with some carb cleaner and a rag, when i pop out my air filter to clean & oil it, I usually pop the intake off and clean up the inside of the TB and butterfly valve, it keeps it nice and responsive by keeping the carbon and build-up off of it.

$129.99 for an EFI service? Is that like seafoam-ing it? Seems a bit steep honestly, but please correct me if i'm wrong. A can of seafoam is less than $10 typically and can be done easily, just be careful not to do too much too fast.

Brakes are an easy one to do if you're mechanically inclined, or have a buddy whom is that you can get to help you do it. For that, you could put new brake pads and rotors on, possibly all four wheels.

The clutch...$980? Is THAT a good price? I haven't had one done in YEARS so I don't know honestly. If the TOB (Throw Out Bearing) is squeaking, is that impending doom? Possibly...I'd make sure my AAA membership is paid up and start saving for the whole clutch to be replaced, but I wouldn't do it until it fails personally, but I have 2 cars and wouldn't be put out if one was down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Im so glad I work on cars for a living,,not only do i love what i do,,ive never taken anything to the shop,,ive heard nightmares of people getting burnt,,exspecially women
I've seen it first hand. I'm a car guy and have 3 sisters, they get jerked around not only by mechanics but also by all service/repair persons (plumbers, HVAC, handymen, etc)...actually, I don't mean to demonize these guys, not all are looking to cheat anyone, but it's common.

I love finding good, reliable, honest people to do business with. When I do, I reward them by sending them my sisters, friends, and family knowing they'll do them right just as they had me.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car has 112,000 on it, but is in good shape, drives great just a few small things on the list

·
Registered
232 Posts
IanM said:
I've seen it first hand. I'm a car guy and have 3 sisters, they get jerked around not only by mechanics but also by all service/repair persons (plumbers, HVAC, handymen, etc)...actually, I don't mean to demonize these guys, not all are looking to cheat anyone, but it's common.

I love finding good, reliable, honest people to do business with. When I do, I reward them by sending them my sisters, friends, and family knowing they'll do them right just as they had me.
Roflmao! Wtf! Yooooo you are funny!!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Supe01stang said:
After reading your quote again. I'm sorry dude! I apologize.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well if you or anyone else needs help working on there cars am always down to help everyone!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
IanM said:
Wow there's a lot on that list... It looks like he wants to do a ton, is the car in bad shape? Lots of miles?

I'd find out the source of the click or clicking and probably get on that first if it's serious. Maybe a CV joint?

Seems like he wants to put new mufflers on, $300 for new flowmasters from the write up.

The throttle body service? Is he just going to clean it out? I usually clean mine with some carb cleaner and a rag, when i pop out my air filter to clean & oil it, I usually pop the intake off and clean up the inside of the TB and butterfly valve, it keeps it nice and responsive by keeping the carbon and build-up off of it.

$129.99 for an EFI service? Is that like seafoam-ing it? Seems a bit steep honestly, but please correct me if i'm wrong. A can of seafoam is less than $10 typically and can be done easily, just be careful not to do too much too fast.

Brakes are an easy one to do if you're mechanically inclined, or have a buddy whom is that you can get to help you do it. For that, you could put new brake pads and rotors on, possibly all four wheels.

The clutch...$980? Is THAT a good price? I haven't had one done in YEARS so I don't know honestly. If the TOB (Throw Out Bearing) is squeaking, is that impending doom? Possibly...I'd make sure my AAA membership is paid up and start saving for the whole clutch to be replaced, but I wouldn't do it until it fails personally, but I have 2 cars and wouldn't be put out if one was down.
All this seems to be a bit on the steep side to me!.. You can Seafoam your car and clean your own TB for far less and that will cover your EFI service!.. $300 for new FlowMasters?!?... For about $20 more you can get a whole new cat back setup!!... And for brakes!.. I got new rotors and pads for all four wheels on my '04 GT for about $200, just did the work myself!..

If your mechanically inclined you can actually do all this and get some upgraded parts for a little less then what he is quoting you!.. As far as the TOB I wouldn't know about!..

·
Registered
223 Posts

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

After reading your quote again. I'm sorry dude! I apologize.

It's all good man, I'm a bit of a windbag...I talk too much.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eturner said:
All this seems to be a bit on the steep side to me!.. You can Seafoam your car and clean your own TB for far less and that will cover your EFI service!.. $300 for new FlowMasters?!?... For about $20 more you can get a whole new cat back setup!!... And for brakes!.. I got new rotors and pads for all four wheels on my '04 GT for about $200, just did the work myself!..

If your mechanically inclined you can actually do all this and get some upgraded parts for a little less then what he is quoting you!.. As far as the TOB I wouldn't know about!..
That's exactly what I was thinking but I'm terrified of sea foaming my car and not messing something up, I've read some stories.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts