Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New problem. I was driving yesterday and on my way home my car just died completely. It coasted up the road a lil bit n then just picked back up n went on. Other than that it runs great. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. If that is the case then it prolly be the pip in the distributor. If so ima change the whole distributor cause i wanna upgrade anyway. Any more input is welcome.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks. If that is the case then it prolly be the pip in the distributor. If so ima change the whole distributor cause i wanna upgrade anyway. Any more input is welcome.
You weren't on some sort of turn were you possibly close to empty on gas? My 91 GT did that on right turns and it turns out the baffles in the gas tank were broke off. Replaced the tank and no more problems.

Had a 95 GT that would die for no reason along straights. It ended up being the pick up coil in the distributer. Went through 3-5 (can't remember it's been awhile) remanufactured distributors before getting one that worked. Take the cap and rotor off and see if there are metal shavings down in there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You weren't on some sort of turn were you possibly close to empty on gas? My 91 GT did that on right turns and it turns out the baffles in the gas tank were broke off. Replaced the tank and no more problems.

Had a 95 GT that would die for no reason along straights. It ended up being the pick up coil in the distributer. Went through 3-5 (can't remember it's been awhile) remanufactured distributors before getting one that worked. Take the cap and rotor off and see if there are metal shavings down in there.
I was running strait down the road n hadn't been long got gas. I been wondering if that pick up coil was the culprit. Think ima save a couple dollars and put a msd distributor in. Thanks for the help yall.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The bad pip will fry the TFI. And TFI's will go too. So if you're gonna do the pip do the TFI. Very common due to the heat that gets to the pip/TFI.... A quick and easy thing to watch, if the tach isn't bouncing while you're cranking it, thats the problem 99% of the time. No Crankshaft position sensor on Foxes. (If the avatar pic is what we're talking about)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bad pip will fry the TFI. And TFI's will go too. So if you're gonna do the pip do the TFI. Very common due to the heat that gets to the pip/TFI.... A quick and easy thing to watch, if the tach isn't bouncing while you're cranking it, thats the problem 99% of the time. No Crankshaft position sensor on Foxes. (If the avatar pic is what we're talking about)
Yeah its my 87 we're talking bout. I just recently replaced the tfi. It shut off again the other day and didn't wanna fire back up so i figured i switch it off at the key and restart it and when i turned it back on it started running again. Almost like it loses power somewhere in the key switch. I have recently replaced the ignition switch on the column but not the key switch. I hate electrical bugs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did you end up replacing the distributor? Still curious about the pick up coil...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you end up replacing the distributor? Still curious about the pick up coil...
Not yet. Money is a lil tight at the moment but i am gone look into different things today to see what i may can come up with. I will keep progress posted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When this happened to my 95 GT it just got worse over time. I ended up renting a scanning tool from AutoZone or Orielly's and when it would not start I just hooked up the tool, tried to start the car and it threw a code that pointed to the pickup coil. The engine light never actually came on because when it did start there were no actual errors. Only when it did not start would the scanning tool pick up an error code. I was able to just return the tool at no total cost, I just needed a credit card. Not sure if they do that anymore. The other thing you can do when it does not start and you are at home, take the cap and rotor off and blow some compressed air in there to clean it out. See if that works.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When this happened to my 95 GT it just got worse over time. I ended up renting a scanning tool from AutoZone or Orielly's and when it would not start I just hooked up the tool, tried to start the car and it threw a code that pointed to the pickup coil. The engine light never actually came on because when it did start there were no actual errors. Only when it did not start would the scanning tool pick up an error code. I was able to just return the tool at no total cost, I just needed a credit card. Not sure if they do that anymore. The other thing you can do when it does not start and you are at home, take the cap and rotor off and blow some compressed air in there to clean it out. See if that works.
Thanks. I will try to clean it out. Ima see if throws any codes also. I just use a jumper wire and test light since i have obd 1.

·
Registered
200 Posts
95s are obd1 as well I thought. Changed to obd2 in 96 with the 4.6 liter

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool.
Well i have been having a problem with cranking my car by key. I have replaced key lock cylinder, ignition switch, checked the neutral safety switch, and replaced the solenoid. It will crank and start by jumping the solenoid. I have tried to do a code read and it won't even start to run the test. I have checked things a few times over. I also wonder that this may have to do with it just shutting off going down the road. IM LOST AND GOING INSANE! ELECTRICAL SUCKS! All help is greatly appreciated. I hope some of yall have some insight on what this could be. Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
All 94 are obd1. Some 95 vehicles, im guessing the ones built later in '95, had obd2 and all 96+ are obd2
Cool. I didn't know that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i couldn't get any codes or anything and still can't figure out why it won't crank or start with key. I did have an extra computer laying round so i swapped em out just for the hell of it to see what happens. So i did and know i get the code test to run. It passed and this was after driving around a few minutes. I don't no if this will solve my issue of it just dying going down the road but i guess i will see. It didn't solve the problem with cranking by the key but i didn't figure it would know how. I know this is alot of info and random stuff but im doing my best at explaining it and trying to get this all right. Questions or comments and help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts