Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there was a thread on this recently, or at least a similar thread, but I have some questions. So my car will not (according to the SUPER accurate stock gauge) get about 150 degrees. Heat is alright, warmup takes quite some time. I replaced the thermostat, coolant has been flushed. Timing may be a bit off, but this problem was happening when my timing was good. Fan clutch is locked, but the engine should still get nice and toasty. Any thoughts on my next step, I can get access to a good multimeter, but Im not a big fan of cutting into wires to test. I have no problem replacing sensors, I'm sure most of them are old and could use replacing. Also exhaust always smells really rich like a 2 stroke almost. Let me know if you need any more information and as always thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 91 GT had the same issue. It was a former Florida car. It uad a 150 thermo and i changed it to a 185-190 and is fine now
I already put in a new 180 degree thermostat... Any one else, otherwise I may just start throwing parts at it lol and I dont have the money for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can't argue with stock being better as far as highway riding but u don't have 300 lb/ft of torque sittin at idle either. Lol If u do alot of town driving then stock isn't going to cool like the electric in that aspect.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Finchms said:
I can't argue with stock being better as far as highway riding but u don't have 300 lb/ft of torque sittin at idle either. Lol If u do alot of town driving then stock isn't going to cool like the electric in that aspect.
To be technical it takes at minimum 2600 cfm to properly cool a 5.0 . A stock fan does this very easily. Once u get over 3000 cfm on an electric fan then you have more cooling power. A stock fan at idle has no issues cooling even a pretty toughly built motor. :good:

·
Registered
208 Posts
To be technical it takes at minimum 2600 cfm to properly cool a 5.0 . A stock fan does this very easily. Once u get over 3000 cfm on an electric fan then you have more cooling power. A stock fan at idle has no issues cooling even a pretty toughly built motor. :good:
How much cfm does a stock fan produce? Just curious and always accepting any knowledge i can aquire.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i dont know exactly. but i do know that when getting an eletric fan they always say to get a minimum of 2600 cfm. so probably in that neighborhood.
Yeah i have heard that also. Summin like u have to have a certain cfm depending if your stock, mild, or wild. Mine is advertised at 3000 cfm n it does a great job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts