Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a 98 v6 standard mustang. i am 18 and love power. i hate seeing all the imports running around with their over exhaust asses. well my friends took me out one night and we went racing and i lost to an acrau integra :oops: . That night i swore i would never lose to an import again. So i am wondering what i should do to my car so i will never lose to those imports again. Any advise would be great thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
budget, goal, experience?

94-98's are even worse starting points for speed than the 99+ V6's.

if you never want to lose to an import, buy a V8 and mod it to hell, some imports are quick!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have about 5 grand and now that i have a this car i dont want to sell it. and i just want to have some advice on what i can do to my car to make it better. i dont have a whole lot of experince. but i am trying to learn all i can

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you have 5 grand, get an Intercooled Supercharger and be done with it. I would have skipped the Bolt ons section if I could have afforded it. With 5 grand as spendable cash, I would get a supercharger, some heads, gears, T-lok, and lower my car about an inch and a half.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW, you have the best year for mustangs. But then again, I'm biased :p V6POwerSTang will say I'm on crack, but he's just in denial :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
yes, with that kind of money, i'd advise getting a supercharger as well. what kind of power do you want?

also, with that power you should upgrade your rear end. buy a GT's 8.8" rear end and 3.73 gears or so, those will help you out a lot.

relik's not on crack, he's just horribly misinformed. ;) :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
it depends what supercharger/setup/boost your'e running, and how much highway driving you're doing. if you're putting out 250rwhp, 4.10s are still an option, but 3.73's are more streetable.

i have a puny 175rwhp about and run 4.10s with a 5spd '00 v6.

if you're SERIOUS about modding your car for power, you may want to stick with 3.73's because with 300+rwhp you'll need a taller (lower numerically) gear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rellik said:
V6POwerSTang will say I'm on crack, but he's just in denial
I will also say you are on crack :D 8)

·
Registered
151 Posts
wish i had 5gs to spend on my car .. .

yes, s/c intercooled. Heads, rear end. . . May want at that point to pick up some wider rims and tires...

check out eaglewheels.com for cheap wide wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Id look into supersixmotorsports stage 3 superheads kit. It will run you about 3800 after you have gotten everything you need to install it and put it in. That has been dynoed to boost you to the same amount of power as 00' GT... though less torque. An added benefit to this is there isn't any harmful engine stress. I put this setup in my stang and it was sooooo nice. Then I got a procharger on top of it and have plenty of power. 99+ are better to start from if you aren't going to do any headwork, otherwise superheads for a 98 I understand outflow 99 and hence more power, especially if you get the heads milled to the same compression as 99+. Anyways... You'll have enough power to laywaste to most imports and 1200 left to get rims, exhuast, whatever you please. Out of the box you get a little more from the supercharger, so its your choice. I have enough power to edge out new corvettes, not z06 yet :( Good luck deciding...
Dan

aslo you might want to talk to Dan Haga, he helped pave the way with Tom...

·
Registered
30 Posts
You wouldnt NEED to replace anything internally, but if you do I would suggest getting some strengthened rods and pistons while you are at it, maybe even a stroker kit since you have to take the pistons out anyways to replace the rings... the main focus for if you are adding a supercharger is to make sure your fuel delivery system is up to the task of putting enough fuel in for the added air, otherwise you can go boom!
Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most systems come with everything you need... basically these are what you need if the kit doesn't come with them: new fuel pump 155lph will suffice but it doesn't hurt to go higher, new fuel injectors, at least 19# but you can decide on the number depdning on your future goals, new MAF to go along with the new injectors, unless you get a chip to calibrate for the different injectors... I don't think I am leaving anything out on the fuel system, its late so I might be but thats I think pretty much it... oh and an adjustable fuel pressure regulater helps with tuning.
Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow. Wish I had $5K to put in my car :( I envy you. But another fast V6 is in the making it sounds like! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts