Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 auto V6. Only 24,000 miles on it. This is my problem. Hard to really expalin it but I'll do the best I can.
Sometimes (not always) when I'm driving and my cars in 2nd gear it somewhat bucks (seems like the car goes fwd and back a tad bit). Then the car shifts into 3rd and its fine. Its only when its in 2nd going into 3rd.
Could it be my transmission or something else? The car shifts into gears ok.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
ya, it could be a problem in your tranny. Just take it to ford and see what they say, you should still have a warrenty

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I think i know what you're talking about...I just kinda ignore it. My car will also stick in a gear every once in a while. That's prolly cuz I'm at 49xxx miles and haven't changed my trans fluid...

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a 2002 with 23k milles and it use to do that . but it was a dirty flow meter (maf) if anything is wrong in your trany its gonna (cell light) ,
the auto is full of sensors . also do a trany flush , i did one and added lucas trans oil and the shift are nice and firm

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
check your spark plugs and wires. i had the same problem for the longest time, the stumbling. turns out that cylinder one was misifiring through a crack in the wire and arcing off of the engine. changed them both out and she purred like a kitten

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your advice. I'll start with changing my plugs and flushing my fluid and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am having a similar problem to what the original poster mentioned.

I drive a '95 with an auto and sometimes when i am driving between 30-40 MPH, the tranny will seem to get stuck between gears like it can't decide which to go with and the car will buck. The engine will rev around 2-3K usually when this is going on.

I dunno if it is anything serious or not. I recently had my fluid checked so I don't think that is the issue. It is strange, the bucking happens whether I am accelerating or not (although the problem tends to go away once I accelerate above 40 or so), and does it with cruise control on in the 30-40 range as well.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
slvr2000stang said:
If your trans fluid is in the 25,000 to 30,000 mile range it should be changed.

Unfortuneately with an auto the best way to do this is by flushing the trans which is a bout a $115 service, but worth it.
Best thing I ever did for mine...now if I can only get this damn tranny cooler mounted.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
DarkShadow said:
I have pics of where I mounted mine if you need them. :good:
ha that isn't the problem, finding time is the problem...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update:

I added some Lucas Transmission Fix to my tranny and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I am utterly shocked. I never thought it would work.

Anyway, anyone else with this problem might wanna try it before they spend $120 on a tranny flush. I got a 24oz bottle at Pep Boys for $10 and put may 1/3 of the bottle in and it has dramatically improved if not completely fixed the problem. I didn't use the whole bottle as the insturctions said becuase my tranny is already more than full, so i imagine a full bottle if used would do even better.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you should change the tranny fulid every year on an auto, even if it is only a drain/fill. I would do an entire flush now and again though to make sure its all fresh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts