Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about ordering the JLT carbon fiber intake but is it worth the money?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Honestly NO! The stock air box is a good true CAI. I have had the JLT CF CAI and sold it.Gains are basically nothing.Maybe 2-3 horsepower and actually can give some issues.;Whole other story but if you wanna try it, go for it.Alot of money that could be used on a much better mod.In fact I favor the stock box over any type out there.If you are NA stay with stock and buy other good stuff.JMO

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly NO! The stock air box is a good true CAI. I have had the JLT CF CAI and sold it.Gains are basically nothing.Maybe 2-3 horsepower and actually can give some issues.;Whole other story but if you wanna try it, go for it.Alot of money that could be used on a much better mod.In fact I favor the stock box over any type out there.If you are NA stay with stock and buy other good stuff.JMO
Hmm ok thank I think I'm going to go with a short throw shifter

·
Registered
231 Posts
For the money you'd spend on the CAI, get the SCT with a tune for stock air box, will see better gains. The aftermarket CAI, are more of a cosmetic addition, they all say you need a tune to benefit from the CAI, and most guys go ahead and buy it, and think that the CAI gained them so much, when the reality is, that the gains come more from the tune itself. I personally didnt waste my time with the aftermarket CAI, and instead added a tune, and saw a big gain, going from 13.38 in stock form with regular unleaded from the dealer, and 85 degree temperature to 12.43 with 93 octane fuel, and 93 octane tune, in 60 degree temps. I'm sure alot of the gains came from cooler temps, but the tune also made huge changes in my automatics shift as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the money you'd spend on the CAI, get the SCT with a tune for stock air box, will see better gains. The aftermarket CAI, are more of a cosmetic addition, they all say you need a tune to benefit from the CAI, and most guys go ahead and buy it, and think that the CAI gained them so much, when the reality is, that the gains come more from the tune itself. I personally didnt waste my time with the aftermarket CAI, and instead added a tune, and saw a big gain, going from 13.38 in stock form with regular unleaded from the dealer, and 85 degree temperature to 12.43 with 93 octane fuel, and 93 octane tune, in 60 degree temps. I'm sure alot of the gains came from cooler temps, but the tune also made huge changes in my automatics shift as well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the JLT CF CAI, my Stang was the test vehicle for DiabloSport, they started off with a base dyno and went through with the stick tune dyno and then again with the JLT + Tune and dynoed again. Their was actually quite a bit of power gains over the stock air box with tune, mainly because of the volume and velocity of the air passed the MAF the fuel mapping is changed to account for it, there's a lot more in it, but in the end my car put down 410hp to the wheels. Although I don't think the CF actually does anything but it does look sweet, IMO.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the JLT CF CAI, my Stang was the test vehicle for DiabloSport, they started off with a base dyno and went through with the stick tune dyno and then again with the JLT + Tune and dynoed again. Their was actually quite a bit of power gains over the stock air box with tune, mainly because of the volume and velocity of the air passed the MAF the fuel mapping is changed to account for it, there's a lot more in it, but in the end my car put down 410hp to the wheels. Although I don't think the CF actually does anything but it does look sweet, IMO.
Your car produced 410 RWHP with a CAI and tune?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Corsa XPipe and Corsa Extreme exhaust.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

I'll try to upload a copy of the dyno sheet later

·
Registered
130 Posts
My brother in law got roughly the same at 409.4 rwhp on his 2011 Camaro SS, the only thing different is his intake..... Say what you will, but the intake does make a difference when combined with a tune, but as I said before the tune is adjusted for the diameter of the intake on the JLT, it is massive.....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cat deletes?
It's funny but the day I got my car dynoed there was another 12 5.0 that was running too and the only difference he made from has last dyno run was a cat delete and after 2 new runs with the delete he was shocked and dissapointed that the number were about the same

·
Registered
231 Posts
For me personally I dont like the look of the plastic. metal, and CF tubes, and on my 13 I am not crazy about getting water through the heat extractors onto the open air filter. The shields they use lately to help with the water problem make them look even uglier. I am actually gonna modify the stock air box, and convert it into a ram air set up feeding through the grill.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I love my BBK CAI. No tune and I felt a power increase. Also helps with gas mileage.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The gains aren't enough to notice unless it gives you 20 hp or more its not worth the money. If you get a cai and tune your not going to notice at all except the throttle response that comes with the tune that's about it.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
It's funny but the day I got my car dynoed there was another 12 5.0 that was running too and the only difference he made from has last dyno run was a cat delete and after 2 new runs with the delete he was shocked and dissapointed that the number were about the same
interesting. I didn't dyno before removing the cats, but I can say there was a power difference. I know this because a turn I have been taking for months and months in the car I spun out on the first time I drove it after removing the cats. Literally my only change. Had a 93 Bama Race tune both times, and they only retuned for the lack of cats. Guess i wasn't really expecting that much of a change and went and threw her in third and what I thought was easing the clutch out was apparently too much for the car to handle. That was stock suspension too. I imagine with a good suspension she'd have held but taken the turn faster.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As per DiabloSport I gained 27hp and 29 TQ as per the dyno sheets..... Can anyone explain that kind of gains and whether or not they can be felt?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your biggest gain comes from the tune. What was the readings with just the tune?
You are correct, I didn't disagree with that, but I did disagree with the fact people were saying that it hardly gives any power. My Dyno sheets showed 18 HP gain and 20 TQ gain from stock to 93 performance without a CAI. The only thing I was stating before is that they can squeeze more HP out of a tune based on the cars ability to breath more air (volume) at a lower velocity (speed), by doing this you can in theory change the MAF sensor and adjust the fuel mapping to A) run more efficiently (less vacuum created) and B) create more power based off of the fuel mapping. It's the same principle with forced induction, more air = better burning fuel. Which is how they create more power with more boost, the CAI on a N/A engine should reduce the amount of vacuum the engine needs "suck" to pull in the air.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You are correct, I didn't disagree with that, but I did disagree with the fact people were saying that it hardly gives any power. My Dyno sheets showed 18 HP gain and 20 TQ gain from stock to 93 performance without a CAI. The only thing I was stating before is that they can squeeze more HP out of a tune based on the cars ability to breath more air (volume) at a lower velocity (speed), by doing this you can in theory change the MAF sensor and adjust the fuel mapping to A) run more efficiently (less vacuum created) and B) create more power based off of the fuel mapping. It's the same principle with forced induction, more air = better burning fuel. Which is how they create more power with more boost, the CAI on a N/A engine should reduce the amount of vacuum the engine needs "suck" to pull in the air.
I disagree with the gains.I have had the CF JLT and CAI period are not much help with these coyotes from the stock box.What you are seeing on paper is just that on paper.With hood open and air induced you are seeing a little more yes.Close the hood with no induced air on stock box and do the same with aftermarket CAI and see what you got. Go to track and run your car with stock air box and tune for it. Flash for your CAI and run it then convince me. You will will find with "some" aftermarket CAI that it can hiccup a little too. But if you are not experiencing that....that is good.The reason with induced air on dyno with hood open explains itself. If you go over on some of the bigger boards and heavy modders/drag strip times you will find alot confirming my opinion.I am not trying to argue with CAI performance.Just saying the gains are not worth it versus putting your money toward other mods. JMO

1 - 20 of 67 Posts