Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
lwandrewz said:
Anybody running a carbon shaft yet? Whats the noticeable difference between aluminum?
I don't have it done but the only real different is weight which is like 5 lbs I would go aluminum over it. Carbon fiber is also weaker so I would still stick to aluminum.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Bladezx said:
I don't have it done but the only real different is weight which is like 5 lbs I would go aluminum over it. Carbon fiber is also weaker so I would still stick to aluminum.
Who told you that carbon fiber is weaker? Weaker than what? The last I checked carbon fiber was stronger than steel, pound for pound. They use a carbon fiber driveshaft in the '13 GT500 and people are making a 1000rwhp and going 200mph with them. I wouldn't trust a no name aluminum driveshaft for that kind of situation. Just my .02.

·
Registered
698 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
Yup just stick with aluminum, not enough weight savings to justify the price tag. And carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum just like smozilla said
+1. I was looking into the carbon fiber driveshaft but couldn't justify the cost. Too many other fun things I've done with that $$ on the car that truly make a difference. But agree, if you're looking to run a 800+ RWHP car, it might be an option... After the trans upgrade, engine mods, suspension, brakes. I'm sticking with aluminum.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
every 1lb is about 10~ lbs of dead weight performance wise~ so 5lbs = 50lbs taken off the car, not sure its worth the cash

·
Registered
598 Posts
So explain why you no longer see modern purpose-built race cars use aluminum tubs? Tell Alan McNish carbon fiber is weak--I think his accident at LeMans kind of proves it isn't. Now cost effectiveness for an enthusiast? That's a different story & a good reason to stick with aluminum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
claudermilk said:
So explain why you no longer see modern purpose-built race cars use aluminum tubs? Tell Alan McNish carbon fiber is weak--I think his accident at LeMans kind of proves it isn't. Now cost effectiveness for an enthusiast? That's a different story & a good reason to stick with aluminum.
Nvm I was thinking of some other material that's used in rims that I was reading about lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
So now that we know people can read manufactures websites about drive shafts. Back to question, does anyone actually have a carbon fiber shaft or any personal experience with one?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
lwandrewz said:
Heard this guy had one on his tbird and claimed better eta's, .7 sec doesnt sound that great to me
That's a huge difference

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hell yea! That could be the difference of run low 12s and get in to mid 11s. You would be lucky to have a stang with CAI, exhaust and tune

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

redbeast0712 said:
Hell yea! That could be the difference of running low 12s and get in to mid 11s. You would be lucky to have a stang with CAI, exhaust and tune get that number shaved off

Sorry for the screw up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts