781 - 800 of 819 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
69 AMC AMX

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Young, that's funny, but it does look like it has AMC door latches. I don't know Recon, you got me.
Actually David is right, it is a AMC AMX III. There were 5 or 6 built

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
There are apparently 6 of them.

I wasn't even aware of their existence.
It's too bad that AMC was a company that seemed to always be working right on the edge of bankruptcy.... We might have seen more of them produced. After reading some history, the general consensus of the time seemed to consider the AMX III as being superior to both the Pantera, and the GT40.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most of it is a 67 Firebird, just have not figured out the extension on the quarter panel yet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I know what the extension is.......

....it's ugly
Maybe they had a traction problem and needed the extra weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
It’s a 67 Fitchbird. Not much is known about them and it’s estimated there are only 2 left. Some reports say more than 2 were made other reports say only 2 were made. So who knows.
Little history: they were made by John Fitch, upon GM’s request. He was a race car driver and was known for modifying Corvair’s. So he tried some muscle cars and they ultimately scrapped the project.
My theory is this car was in the very BEGINNING stages of improving aero on the firebirds but Pontiac didn’t show interest in pursuing the project further.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It’s a 67 Fitchbird. Not much is known about them and it’s estimated there are only 2 left. Some reports say more than 2 were made other reports say only 2 were made. So who knows.
Little history: they were made by John Fitch, upon GM’s request. He was a race car driver and was known for modifying Corvair’s. So he tried some muscle cars and they ultimately scrapped the project.
My theory is this car was in the very BEGINNING stages of improving aero on the firebirds but Pontiac didn’t show interest in pursuing the project further.

Pick your poison.
I was close lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,244 Posts

Pick your poison.
Fitchbird huh?
That was likely the finished product... Fitch was known for his sail panels. Which likely would have helped with the aero.... At around 200 mph. It's a shame that the Firebird fell about 80 mph short of that mark!

As a side note:
John Fitch was an interesting fellow. He was a WWII fighter pilot who flew P51 Mustangs. He is credited as the first pilot to shoot down a Messerschmitt ME 262, which was the first operational jet fighter.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Fitchbird huh?
That was likely the finished product... Fitch was known for his sail panels. Which likely would have helped with the aero.... At around 200 mph. It's a shame that the Firebird fell about 80 mph short of that mark!

As a side note:
John Fitch was an interesting fellow. He was a WWII fighter pilot who flew P51 Mustangs. He is credited as the first pilot to shoot down a Messerschmitt ME 262, which was the first operational jet fighter.
I read a thing about him about 7 or 8 years ago, I think it was Lime Rock he helped design but he did say the ME-262 was out of fuel and landing, but it never flew again.
This one might be a little easy for most.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I read a thing about him about 7 or 8 years ago, I think it was Lime Rock he helped design but he did say the ME-262 was out of fuel and landing, but it never flew again.
This one might be a little easy for most.
Chuck Yeager shot down a 262 in the same fashion. It's difficult to shoot down a plane that has nearly a hundred mile per hour advantage on every other plane. The British used to scramble a fighter squadron or two every time that a ME 262 was reported to be in the air. Not to try to intercept it, but to go and orbit around the approach end of the airfields that they were suspected to be operating from. The Brits would try to shoot them down after the plane had slowed down on final approach for landing. It became the preferred tactic for combating the ME 262.

781 - 800 of 819 Posts